[SOLVED] Powerline randoomly drops speed

Nov 16, 2020
Hello there. I recently purchased a TPLink AV1300 powerline kit. So here is the deal! once i plug the ethernet on my provider's router the speed reaches 90mbps, BUT when i connect the same cable to my extender the speed drops at 40mbps. Occasionally the adapter reaches 70mbps speeds and then back to 40. the ethernet ports are 10/100/1000. The kit is on the same electrical circuit, no acfi breakers, plugged directly into the wal, and firmware is up to date. I also tried rebooting, and restore to factory defaults with no luck at all.
Any ideas please??

Solution
No, these are probably the cheapest, but actually do work very well, you'll need to buy 2 so that's $120: https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-2-5Gbps-Ethernet-WF-803M/dp/B07XYDG7WN

If you want true gigabit speeds though, this is only way. Wifi repeaters and mesh networks have terrible bandwidth. Powerline works well but again, speeds are generally less than 100mbps in my experience, even on short runs of wiring. MOCA is the only way to get comparable to ethernet speeds without running network cable in the house.

Actually these are cheaper at $90 for the pair, but they are older non-bonded units. Typical speeds will be 400-600mbps, so not quite gigabit speeds...

Ralston18

Titan
Powerline adapters are sensitive to the overall quality of the host electrical circuit(s).

The varying speeds might be improved and stabilized by having a qualified electrician check outlets and the the electrical connections therein.

No loose wires, cracked outlets, debris inside the outlet ports, etc..

Nov 16, 2020
40-70mbps is a typical speed from many powerline connections from my experience with them.

If you want gigabit speeds and have cable outlets in both rooms, you can try MOCA instead of powerline.
Ok thanks but, first of all shouldn't the speed on the powerline with ethernet be the same or at least close to the speed i gain from my router?
And second, what exactly are the cable outlets you say?

Ok thanks but, first of all shouldn't the speed on the powerline with ethernet be the same or at least close to the speed i gain from my router?
And second, what exactly are the cable outlets you say?
No, powerline has to travel through your outlet, down your power wires to your breaker panel, then back up your powerline and up to the other outlet on the other side of you house. There's alot of places for noise in the system. 40-70mbps is the limit of what can safely travel through your powerlines as readable data. When you plug directly into your router, you have a nice clean signal with no places for noise.

COAX Cable outlets are the screw on type cable outlets that you plug a tv into. It doesn't have the same challenges as powerline, so you can actually get full gigabit speeds using these outlets.

Nov 16, 2020
No, powerline has to travel through your outlet, down your power wires to your breaker panel, then back up your powerline and up to the other outlet on the other side of you house. There's alot of places for noise in the system. 40-70mbps is the limit of what can safely travel through your powerlines as readable data. When you plug directly into your router, you have a nice clean signal with no places for noise.

COAX Cable outlets are the screw on type cable outlets that you plug a tv into. It doesn't have the same challenges as powerline, so you can actually get full gigabit speeds using these outlets.
Yes, i did some research and saw how these work. Although these tiny bricks are too expensive and they dont have wifi at all. is there any moca device or brand i dont know, which will cots me less than those?

No, these are probably the cheapest, but actually do work very well, you'll need to buy 2 so that's $120: https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-2-5Gbps-Ethernet-WF-803M/dp/B07XYDG7WN

If you want true gigabit speeds though, this is only way. Wifi repeaters and mesh networks have terrible bandwidth. Powerline works well but again, speeds are generally less than 100mbps in my experience, even on short runs of wiring. MOCA is the only way to get comparable to ethernet speeds without running network cable in the house.

Actually these are cheaper at $90 for the pair, but they are older non-bonded units. Typical speeds will be 400-600mbps, so not quite gigabit speeds: https://www.amazon.com/Comtrend-GCA-6000KIT-Powerline-1200Mbps-Ethernet/dp/B01MRV4WA1

Solution