(Powerline) Speed at 2mbps then randomly and slowly drops to 0b/s...

Solution
I would say the combination of that pair of sockets doesn't work. Move the Receiver Unit nearer the host and try again. Or move the Host one nearer the ultimate destination of the Receiver... that is, change rooms. But it doesn't sound like this will work in your desired locations.
Powerline is a radio signal that is transmitted over the copper wires. Like any other radio signal it is subject to interference. The kitchen would not be the best place to have a powerline device. The most common source of interference are things with motors...vacuum cleaners do a great job of killing off the signal if you plug it into the same circuit.

Kitchens tends to have GFCI outlets because of building codes. Some models tend to cause issues with powerline. So far there does not seem to be a clear answer as to why some GFCI outlets cause issues and others do not.

Blupoiz0n

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

How do I explain this to my mum? She said shes not having my room rewired :/

All you can really do is try to find another outlet to plug into. You must be in a older house because most countries require the kitchen have dedicated circuits. Maybe a lamp plug adapter in the ceiling light if you get really desperate.

I guess I forgot my standard comment on these. You need to be sure you have the powerline units plugged directly into the wall, no power strips or extension cords.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
The nice thing about powerlines is that you can quickly test what works and doesn't work, then swap to another wall-socket if those magical 3 lights don't come on. Quick, easy. Unfortunately, that "work or doesn't work" is also their dictum - when they don't, there's no setting to trick them into it!

Don't forget Bill's standard comment either: "directly into the wall socket, no power strips or extension cords."

Sometimes, I've re-located the Host unit away from the Computer Room nearer to the Target Receiver Room. Instead of running a longer cable in Mum's room, therefore, maybe I'd run a longer cable to some other room for that Host Unit's connection.

Blupoiz0n

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Top light (AP) isnt on.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Have you found any pair of wall-sockets that produce the working-condition lights as the documentation specifies?

(I don't know what products you have or their model number, so I can't be certain what is meant by "top light isn't on". I don't know what function this refers to.)

Blupoiz0n

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
The bottom light changes between the orangey red colour to the green. It just cuts out. I use a bridged connection with my usb wifi adapter, All of the drivers are installed.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I would say the combination of that pair of sockets doesn't work. Move the Receiver Unit nearer the host and try again. Or move the Host one nearer the ultimate destination of the Receiver... that is, change rooms. But it doesn't sound like this will work in your desired locations.

Solution