[SOLVED] Powerline speed drop question

damiengajda

Commendable
Mar 15, 2017
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why my powerline connection has dropped 90% of its speed.

I'm using tp-link 500Mbps powerline adapters, and for the first 6 months of using them in my new house i was getting 90-110 Mbps speeds with no drops. Nothing has changed regarding my setup, but now its between 1Mbps and 10 Mbps, sometimes even dropping to below 100Kbps.

It's definitely the plug sockets in that room, as when i try the sockets in the room next to it i get 90-110 Mbps again. But every single socket in the original room is 1-10Mbps.

I'm just going to use the sockets in the other room but im stumped as to why it has happened. Does anyone have any ideas why? Could it be a fault in the wiring in that room that has only just recently happened?

Any help will be appreciated, it's confusing me!

Solution
They could be on different circuits, im not sure though, but it doesn't really change the situation. The first room was getting 90+mbps for 6 months and i'm wondering why that room wouldn't be getting the same speeds any more? could the wiring have had an issue recently or does that seem unlikely?

It can do. Usually with powerlines it's interference with other objects or wiring. Usually interference. So whichever room you get the lower speeds, bets are you're getting more interference there. This is the common cause at least.

Newly plugged in items on the same circuit, use of other items in that room can all cause interference for example.

damiengajda

Commendable
Mar 15, 2017
Do you know if the 2 rooms are on the same circuit?
If they are on separate circuits, it could be wiring, or even interference.

They could be on different circuits, im not sure though, but it doesn't really change the situation. The first room was getting 90+mbps for 6 months and i'm wondering why that room wouldn't be getting the same speeds any more? could the wiring have had an issue recently or does that seem unlikely?

Season is changing, have u turned on the AC recently?

I live in the UK so nobody has AC over here, it's just always cold ^^ thanks though!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

It can do. Usually with powerlines it's interference with other objects or wiring. Usually interference. So whichever room you get the lower speeds, bets are you're getting more interference there. This is the common cause at least.

Newly plugged in items on the same circuit, use of other items in that room can all cause interference for example.

Solution