Question Powerline speeds are too low. No common solution has helped.

kon.stamoulis.00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
So I have two powerline adapters one connected to the router and the other connected to an AP. My internet speed is 45mbps. Everything worked fine and I used to get >40mbps from the PLC. Untill one day without any reason speeds went under 10mbps (most of the time under 5). No changes were made in home devices. I tried unplugging everything. Checked all Ethernet cables, tried different sockets. I even got a new kit from another company but still the same.
Is there anything you can think of?

kon.stamoulis.00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Something is causing interference. It might be on the incoming power. If you plug both of them into the same room (use a long ethernet for testing) and they performance is still poor, then there is nothing you can do.
Tried it and still speeds are poor.
The thing I don't get is why things were great and then for no reason speeds tanked and they never came back up.

kon.stamoulis.00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
So my modem is Asus ac52u. The powerlines are one kit devolo and one kit tplink.

So it seems I have found the source of the problem.. trying another older modem spiked the speeds at 40+Mbps through the powerline. There seems to be some inexplicable problem between the router and the PLCs. I tried factory reset, downgrading firmware but nothing helped. I contacted Asus hoping for their help.
Thank you all for your answers.

kanewolf

Titan
So my modem is Asus ac52u. The powerlines are one kit devolo and one kit tplink.

So it seems I have found the source of the problem.. trying another older modem spiked the speeds at 40+Mbps through the powerline. There seems to be some inexplicable problem between the router and the PLCs. I tried factory reset, downgrading firmware but nothing helped. I contacted Asus hoping for their help.
Thank you all for your answers.
Of the power supply for the Asus generates noise. You could test that by using the old modem for data but having the Asus still plugged in. If you unplug it and your performance improves, it is the Asus power supply.

Reactions: kon.stamoulis.00

kon.stamoulis.00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Of the power supply for the Asus generates noise. You could test that by using the old modem for data but having the Asus still plugged in. If you unplug it and your performance improves, it is the Asus power supply.
I tested this with the units being next to each other
With one I cannot pass 1MB/s whereas with the other I get the max of my dsl speed of 5.5MB/s
It's really unexplainable.
I tried other firmwares but nothing

kon.stamoulis.00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Have you checked speed before the powerline adapters yet?
Before getting to the powerlines the speed is 46mbps with both routers
But the speed of the powerline when connected to the Asus is way too low. I am 100% sure that the problem is not in the powerline. The problem is the router having some problem with the powerline.
It is really inexplicable.

kanewolf

Titan
Before getting to the powerlines the speed is 46mbps with both routers
But the speed of the powerline when connected to the Asus is way too low. I am 100% sure that the problem is not in the powerline. The problem is the router having some problem with the powerline.
It is really inexplicable.
Except the router doesn't know there is a powerline adapter in place. It functions at the physical level, same as a cable. The router doesn't know the difference.

kon.stamoulis.00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Except the router doesn't know there is a powerline adapter in place. It functions at the physical level, same as a cable. The router doesn't know the difference.
I know that's why I don't get it
I even tried putting in the middle another router (as a switch) (between the powerline and the Asus router) and still the speeds decrease a lot.
I really can't understand why this happens. Maybe it has something to do with the different frequencies?? I really can't find a reasonable explanation

kon.stamoulis.00

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Additionally I uploaded a file in the USB connected to the router. Downloading the file from there (with pc connected via PLC) I get speeds of 35mbps (download is through LAN no internet is used ). Right after that download is finished I try running a speedtest and the speeds I get are 8mbps max. So the problem is only with the internet getting through the powerline :LOL::eek:
I feel desperate
I just cannot understand what is going on
And my question is if I buy a different Asus router(better model) will I still have this problem?