Powerline suddenly running slow

Apr 27, 2018
Hi all. Only noticed this recently when things started to load up slower. I have a TP-Link 1200mb Powerline Setup with Cat7 cables. My Virgin internet is 200 down & 20 Up, initially the powerline was all ok, I wasn't getting any leakage, speeds were as if they were coming straight from the router.

However recently I've started to notice I am getting about 70 down and 20 up. I've checked my PC, used another laptop and still get the same issue. I checked straight from the router (inc wifi) and was getting the 200 down and 20 up from there (so no issues with the internet or the router itself). When trying in different sockets in the house, I was getting higher speeds the closer I moved to the input socket. So I can assume that it's something to do with the wires within the walls themselves.

I just can't figure out why it would be all ok one min, then degraded the next?

Solution
The speed getting higher the closer you get to the input (base) is normal. The better the signal, the higher the speeds. In your case, you had a good signal when you started out, but now it's not as good. The mostly likely cause is interference of some kind. You probably have plugged something in that is causing the interference. Somethings that people have noted as being problematic: Sonic bug zappers, dimmable LED lights, plasma TVs. Interestingly enough, it mostly tends to be electronics with transformers. Motors (like a blender) don't tend to be an issue. If you have anything plugged in near the input adabpter, I would start by unplugging that and seeing if that helps. After that, look around and think about what you have...
The speed getting higher the closer you get to the input (base) is normal. The better the signal, the higher the speeds. In your case, you had a good signal when you started out, but now it's not as good. The mostly likely cause is interference of some kind. You probably have plugged something in that is causing the interference. Somethings that people have noted as being problematic: Sonic bug zappers, dimmable LED lights, plasma TVs. Interestingly enough, it mostly tends to be electronics with transformers. Motors (like a blender) don't tend to be an issue. If you have anything plugged in near the input adabpter, I would start by unplugging that and seeing if that helps. After that, look around and think about what you have plugged in / changed recently. Normally turning off the culprit will fix things ... sometimes you have to unplug it even if it is off.

Reactions: Linox
Solution
Apr 27, 2018

I had done that initially however only the ones next to the input. Did a little bit of digging and found that it seems to stem off the use of extension cords (especially one off a particular socket that I do remember changing when I got a new sound system). So with that turned off, I'm up to 120mb, also my ping has gone from 32 to 8 :) (though that is with the sound bar completely disconnected and that socket totally switched off). Any way to shield from these things?

There is little reason to run them on extension cords. They make models that have electrical plugs. You can plug the powerline into the wall and then the extension cord into the socket on the powerline. This means the powerline signals do not go through the extension cord

Apr 27, 2018

The powerline is in the wall with passthroughs. The extension cords i'm talking about are for other appliances in different sockets/walls. Sorry should have made it clearer.

Linox

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
The speed getting higher the closer you get to the input (base) is normal. The better the signal, the higher the speeds. In your case, you had a good signal when you started out, but now it's not as good. The mostly likely cause is interference of some kind. You probably have plugged something in that is causing the interference. Somethings that people have noted as being problematic: Sonic bug zappers, dimmable LED lights, plasma TVs. Interestingly enough, it mostly tends to be electronics with transformers. Motors (like a blender) don't tend to be an issue. If you have anything plugged in near the input adabpter, I would start by unplugging that and seeing if that helps. After that, look around and think about what you have plugged in / changed recently. Normally turning off the culprit will fix things ... sometimes you have to unplug it even if it is off.
saved me man...we just put up new led lights in our living room and when i turn them on my speed is 90% lower.Thank you !