[SOLVED] Powerline to second router

Mar 27, 2020
I am currently back from university for 6 months and the WiFi coverage in my house is pretty bad. Over a wired connection I get 400 mb down and 40 up however I cannot currently run a wired connection upstairs would i be able to get these speeds over powerline and maybe into a secondary router.

Solution
Not likely to get 400 but you likely can get 200-300 if you are lucky. Look for powerline units based on av2. To get the top speed you are going to need the MIMO version which many times say "1200". There are ones that say 2000 but I don't think they are actually different than the 1200. You will get nowhere near those speeds and what you do get depends on your electical wires.

You can buy powerline units with a Wifi radio in the remote ends. If you use a router make sure you run it as a AP.

If you have TV coax cable in both location you might consider MoCA 2.5 . The very latest units can actually get gigabit speeds. Problem is actiontec who makes most the moca gear seems on only sell the older 2.0 ones. Not sure...

kanewolf

Titan
I am currently back from university for 6 months and the WiFi coverage in my house is pretty bad. Over a wired connection I get 400 mb down and 40 up however I cannot currently run a wired connection upstairs would i be able to get these speeds over powerline and maybe into a secondary router.
No. The best powerline adatpers, AV2 MIMO designated units, get between 100 - 200 Mbit througput.

Not likely to get 400 but you likely can get 200-300 if you are lucky. Look for powerline units based on av2. To get the top speed you are going to need the MIMO version which many times say "1200". There are ones that say 2000 but I don't think they are actually different than the 1200. You will get nowhere near those speeds and what you do get depends on your electical wires.

You can buy powerline units with a Wifi radio in the remote ends. If you use a router make sure you run it as a AP.

If you have TV coax cable in both location you might consider MoCA 2.5 . The very latest units can actually get gigabit speeds. Problem is actiontec who makes most the moca gear seems on only sell the older 2.0 ones. Not sure they advertise them all over their web page but you can't find them for sale. There are some "other" brand ones made and shipped from china but it is unknown the quality.

Solution
If you have TV coax cable in both location you might consider MoCA 2.5 . There are some "other" brand ones made and shipped from china but it is unknown the quality.
I would reiterate the performance of powerline--it won't be the full 400Mbps and probably only a bit more than 100Mbps, although your upload would be full speed.

I would second moca as it can run full gigabit on moca 2.0 and moca 2.5 actually has 2.5Gbps of moca bandwidth, although only 1Gbps port though. Either of these will run your full 400Mbps speeds. Gocoax seems like a stand up company making moca 2.5 units--the founder of the company participates on the smallnetbuilder forum thread answering questions and whatnot.

Mar 27, 2020
Thanks for the help. I unfortunately don't have coax in my room so I'll just have to go with powerline and if it's at around 100 mbps that's fine my main issue is latency and just bad connection so that's the main issue that needs fixing. One last question instead of using a secondary router could i just use a network switch of the powerline

Mar 27, 2020
Once again thanks for the help. I am really bad with anything networking i just could never get my head round it. What router would you recommend up to about £150

You need nothing fancy if you mean the router you want to run on the remote location. You are pretty much only going to be using the wifi radios so any other features are a waste of money.

You should be able to get something for well under half of 150. Look for routers that have numbers 1200-1750. TPlink tend to be the cheapest of the better known brand routers. Be careful avoid getting sucked into bigger number is better myth . You end device is 1/2 the connection it must have the features to actually be able to use the higher speeds.