[SOLVED] PowerManagement GPU/CPU temperature

Nov 17, 2021
Hello,

I have a brand new Lenovo P53 with an RTX 5000 and an i7-9750H.
Updated all drivers, even have an open ticket with Lenovo but they don't answer really fast...

Here's the question : I want to control my CPU max% to reduce it to 90% and min 5%, because it stays at around 90-100C when using Solidworks or gaming and I don't need it to be at 100% all the time.

BUT - when I change this option in the power settings, it's not taken into account if the slider from the Balanced PowerManagement mode is set to "Best performance". In that mode it seems min and max are 100% which is... not necessary for what I do.

IF I don't put the slider to "Best Performance" and only to "Better performance" my RTX 5000 is as good as an integrated graphic card, Solidworks and even Sketchup have abysmal FPS. (which is weird, that's why I have a ticket opened with Lenovo)

SO I tried to make a new power management profil (without a slider) to control the CPU %.... though It's impossible to make the RTX work at max capacity when doing that.

---------- So either I fry my newly acquired P53 because CPU is at 100% all the time, or I use my RTX 5000 like a PS1 graphic card. Anyone has a solution/encountered the same issue ?

Thank you

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
If you are consistently hitting 100°C while gaming or running any kind of application (Not counting stress tests like Prime 95 or Realbench) then there pretty much has to be some kind of thermal issue. I'd contact Lenovo and insist on an RMA. Temperatures over 90°C on these CPUs is not desirable and temperatures over 95°C are just not really acceptable.

Nov 17, 2021
Yes full warranty still.
So far Lenovo only asked me to do a complete UEFI diagnostic (took around 7h) then to send them a photo of the results. (results are showing no errors)
Did it this morning , no answers yet.

Darkbreeze

Retired Mod
If you are consistently hitting 100°C while gaming or running any kind of application (Not counting stress tests like Prime 95 or Realbench) then there pretty much has to be some kind of thermal issue. I'd contact Lenovo and insist on an RMA. Temperatures over 90°C on these CPUs is not desirable and temperatures over 95°C are just not really acceptable.

ASK THE COMMUNITY