[SOLVED] Powermanagement role: ACPI _TPC-object cannot be validated

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
After upgrading my ASUS Expertbook P2451 to Windows 11 last year. It runs mostly fine. Except if I run powercfg -energy in powershell.

I get the following error log.

There is a problem with ACPI-TPC-object on this computer. You can maybe solve this by installing the latest system firmware(BIOS).

Group0
Index1

And this is repeat for index 1 - 7.

I have tried to look the error up on Google, but can't find it.

Can it ASUS bios which isn't 100 % optimated to Windows 11? Because I have installed the latest bios 311.

Solution
ASUS Expertbook P2451
which model is it as there are more letters on end of the P2451 part. There is an FA & FB, and within those families, different models again.
it asks you when you click the Support page or I would link a driver for next part.

Do you have newest version of Intel Management Engine Interface?
if its not bios, its likely an Intel driver you are missing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ASUS Expertbook P2451
which model is it as there are more letters on end of the P2451 part. There is an FA & FB, and within those families, different models again.
it asks you when you click the Support page or I would link a driver for next part.

Solution

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020

Thank You for your answer its the FA version.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
So there is a new version of chipset driver in win 10 drivers (win 10 & 11 so similar there is no real difference in drivers yet)
https://www.asus.com/au/Laptops/For..._Download/?model2Name=ASUS-ExpertBook-P2451FA
Have you got the My Asus app installed? It can be used to update the laptop, it might fix that problem.
I can see a stack of new win 10 drivers that it should install if its smart.

I have tried but it claims all latest drivers I have been installed. I even installed the Intel DTT driver (Originally made for Windows 10) which is suppose to control the thermals. But the issue is still there.

Maybe its something to do with the bios ASUS made? But this being an ASUS laptop bios I can't change any of thermal settings there.

So this is wird?

Colif

Win 11 Master
the windows 11 bios updates mostly just change bios so that secure boot is enabled and PPT is on, in Intel systems

TPC - Throttling Present Capabilities which I found here

have you noticed PC not being able to react to speed changes or over heating? As that is what I assume the Throttling is for.

lets check windows.

right click start button

choose Windows Terminal (admin) - click the down arrow on top and choose power shell if its not default

type SFC /scannow and press enter

once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
the windows 11 bios updates mostly just change bios so that secure boot is enabled and PPT is on, in Intel systems

TPC - Throttling Present Capabilities which I found here

have you noticed PC not being able to react to speed changes or over heating? As that is what I assume the Throttling is for.

lets check windows.

right click start button

choose Windows Terminal (admin) - click the down arrow on top and choose power shell if its not default

type SFC /scannow and press enter

once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

I know Userbenchmark.com isn't the best software, but if I run it it claims the computer throttles at 78 %. That was the same case when I ran Windows 10 Pro, but never got the mentioned error at that time.

I just run the commands you mentioned and it says the image is healthy?

Maybe the bios is just badly implemented? Or the machine has bad thermals from the factory?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can see mention of a fan in the laptop so it should be keeping it reasonably cool.
have you got any idea of temps?

half of me wants to repair install windows 11
other half sees the fact it throttled in 10, and wonders if its just the device. You might want to contact Asus, I would send you to their forums but I can't seem to find any for laptops, they have them for ROG devices - https://www.asus.com/au/Laptops/For...knowledge/?model2Name=ASUS-ExpertBook-P2451FA

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
i can see mention of a fan in the laptop so it should be keeping it reasonably cool.
have you got any idea of temps?

half of me wants to repair install windows 11
other half sees the fact it throttled in 10, and wonders if its just the device. You might want to contact Asus, I would send you to their forums but I can't seem to find any for laptops, they have them for ROG devices - https://www.asus.com/au/Laptops/For...knowledge/?model2Name=ASUS-ExpertBook-P2451FA

If I run the machine in idle it says between 41c - 46 c in idle in Windows 11. Is that hot for laptop?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I assume this is CPU since I can't tell from model number on Asus website - https://askgeek.io/en/cpus/Intel/Core-i5-10210U

I don't know what idle should be, its not mentioned on any sites. Most just look at temps under load and one says if its below 100, you should be fine. But yours doesn't go above 78 and that might relate to those indexes, hence suggesting you ask Asus.

Thank you for your answer. I have the i7 10510u. ASUS has been releasing bios updates for the machine all through 2021 with the very little info text "optimizing system performance". So maybe they have been trying to fix something that they can't ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
If I run the machine in idle it says between 41c - 46 c in idle in Windows 11. Is that hot for laptop?
this appears to be the normal idle range for that CPU, your idle range is fine. https://dev-qa.com/2017679/why-is-intel-core-i7-10700-warm

The throttle settings are more to do with when its under load. Not idle. Yours seems to max out at 78, I wonder what tdp is of the fan its linked to.
TDP of CPU is 15watts but I have seen laptops where the cooling couldn't maintain speed very long
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10510u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

Reactions: Euroman28

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
this appears to be the normal idle range for that CPU, your idle range is fine. https://dev-qa.com/2017679/why-is-intel-core-i7-10700-warm

The throttle settings are more to do with when its under load. Not idle. Yours seems to max out at 78, I wonder what tdp is of the fan its linked to.
TDP of CPU is 15watts but I have seen laptops where the cooling couldn't maintain speed very long
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...10510u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

Could it be do bad Asus thermals ? The heat is lead from the CPU via a single heatpipe.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't have any proof that its bad design.
I can see from this its got a fan to remove heat from heat pipe. not sure how efficient it is.

Asus website says it can run 30 to 43c 24/7 but that doesn't tell us anything about higher temps.
I can see earlier vivabooks have a thermal limit of 76 so its possible that is why yours stops at 78. CPU throttles down to protect itself at this stage.
I can't find what thermal limit of yours is.
But I would have expected it to need that ACPI TPC object thing unless its all controlled via bios.

Last edited: