Question powers on, fails to post

Jan 30, 2020
at first it would turn off while i was using it so i thought it was overheating, eventually it would cycle on and off, sometimes working completely fine. now it won’t post. i have replaced the motherboard and psu, i believe the gpu cpu and ram are all good because the times it would boot, it would work completely normally. what the frick is the problem with this thing?

i-7 6700k
1060 6gb
geforce 600 watt psu
msi mpg z390
assorted ram

Jan 30, 2020
Assorted ram sounds like your problem. Is the ram mismatched? What I mean are they different makes, speeds etc? Try one ram stick at a time to post.
already tried one stick of each type of ram i have, they all worked together fine before this, but no change occurred so i don’t think it’s the ram.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Yep sound like a ram problem.Just put 1 stick in and see what it does.The rule usually are don't mix ram.Depends on system though my old FX 4170 has 4 different ram in and works fine.My old dual core amd spu has 2x same sticks cause with different ram it didn't want to boot

Jan 30, 2020
Now don't get mad at me, but I don't see that motherboard supporting the i7-6700k
could the case be doing something
What was the original motherboard?
g1 sniper z170, worked great until now, which means i probably wasted money on the msi one anyway

Could the case be shorting the system or something? i feel that’s the only piece of the puzzle that hasn’t been tested

Jan 30, 2020
Sorry had to go to hospital yesterday felt soo sick...anyway your original motherboard supported your cpu of I7-6700K. The Msi mpg z390 GAMING PLUS does not support it. Your current motherboard supports 8th generation Intel cpu. Your 6700k is sixth generation.
doesn’t explain why the other motherboard has the some problem :(

doesn’t explain why the other motherboard has the some problem :(
So which motherboard are you referring to the G1 Sniper Z170? If you remove the cmos battery for 15 minutes from the Sniper motherboard, with pc unplugged from wall, then replace the battery and try to post. This will reset the bios. If it dosn't post to at least the bios it is probably a bad motherboard.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
So which motherboard are you referring to the G1 Sniper Z170? If you remove the cmos battery for 15 minutes from the Sniper motherboard, with pc unplugged from wall, then replace the battery and try to post. This will reset the bios. If it dosn't post to at least the bios it is probably a bad motherboard.
i even replace the cmos battery as i read it could have been bad as well, no luck. the symptoms were exactly the same as this motherboard