Powers on, no display.GPU light, boot light.

artistcode

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
Hello, I just assembled my girlfriends computer, but for some reason I can't get any picture on my screen. Computer turns on. All fans are spinning, leds and buttons seem to work fine. The motherboard has warning leds on it saying GPU and BOOT. But I have a win 10 USB hooked up as well for the boot. I figured I could install the gpu after its booted but I can't seem the get a picture the start my bios and whatnot. Any tips? I don't have a speaker to test beeps, I need to go to best buy to try and find one today. If I can't get it.

Solution
Yeah testing with parts is ultimately what has to be done when nothing else works. If you took it to the shop, that's exactly what they would end up doing until they figured out which part isn't working.
I don't know about hooking both at the same time but dvi to dvi should be a decent alternative. As for parts, it could be mobo or the gpu, testing will be required. Easiest would be to plunk her gpu into your system as then you don't have to disassemble everything. Keep in mind if you have on board graphics on your other system seeing an image isn't enough. Check under device manager that the gpu is properly detected. If not, then you know it's gpu. If you can see it with no issues and functions ok, then focus on the mobo.

Sedivy

Estimable
Ok first take out the usb. Then restart and try to get into bios to make sure everything is detected ok.
Depending on the model of your cpu and your mobo, you may not have integrated graphics, in which case you can't do bios or windows installation without a gpu. What cpu, mobo and gpu are you using?

artistcode

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
I ended up taking it completely apart again and testing part by part. Now im fully rebuilt and cmos reset, I switch ports with my USB and now the boot light is gone. Gpu light still on. Still no picture. I can't see the post screen at all. Im using a asus 1060 gpu with a msi b350 tomahawk arctic motherboard. Two cosaire vengeance ram chips, AMD processor, ssd, and hdd, two added 140mm fans and stock two fans for the case. 550 g2 psu.

Sedivy

Estimable
Yeaaa...no on board graphics likely but that doesn't explain lack of any life signs from mobo on the second try run.
Ok at this point, follow the troubleshooting list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html
I know you rebuilt it, just check off the points while you look over it.
Also try plugging the gpu into one of the other pcie slots just to check.

What did you mean by switching ports with your usb?

If still nothing, contact msi and asus, see if there's any reason why msi wouldn't detect that particular gpu.

artistcode

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
I switched the gpu to the second pcie slot and it didn't change. Ended up moving it back. No change. I switched the bootable win 10 USB from one of the USB slots to another and it started lighting up(didn't make sense to me either why it suddenly started lighting up. I mean I don't get it. It all seems to be perfect. But I mean if I remove the gpu, and boot it, shouldn't I be able to see the post at that point?

Sedivy

Estimable
Ok wait so if you leave out the usb key altogether, can you get into bios while gpu is in?
As for gpu, not necessarily. With no integrated graphics, you might not see bios without a functioning gpu.
Some USB slots have support right off the bat. For example if it's a usb 3, you might need to install drivers first off of the mobo support page for them to work right. That's not really concerning, you can fix that later.

artistcode

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
No, if I leave the USB out and turn it on, I will still not have a post screen. But the led light on the mobo will light up with "boot" according to the manual that means it cannot find a bootdrive. Of course that would make sense seeing as I haven't set it on a drive yet, since I cannot see anything on a monitor.

artistcode

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
I attempted to use the vga, and the hdmi, went back an forth on the mobo and gpu. I just went to best buy and got two dVI-D cables so I could hook up to both at the same time. Crossing my fingers for seeing SOMETHING via post now. Ugh, man I appreciate the help you have offered. If this doesn't give me a clear idea of what to do i will contact asus and msi. Im starting to lean towards the mobo maybe having some kind of a tech issue. I am going to take my computer apart and start testing her parts on mine to confirm this idea. Not sure how else I can figure it out otherwise.

Sedivy

Estimable
Yeah testing with parts is ultimately what has to be done when nothing else works. If you took it to the shop, that's exactly what they would end up doing until they figured out which part isn't working.
I don't know about hooking both at the same time but dvi to dvi should be a decent alternative. As for parts, it could be mobo or the gpu, testing will be required. Easiest would be to plunk her gpu into your system as then you don't have to disassemble everything. Keep in mind if you have on board graphics on your other system seeing an image isn't enough. Check under device manager that the gpu is properly detected. If not, then you know it's gpu. If you can see it with no issues and functions ok, then focus on the mobo.

Solution