"Powershell stopped working" whenever running the program

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Recently my start menu hasn't been working at all, so I was told to open powershell and run a certain command, however when opening powershell it always crashes.

it just gives me this text: https://pastebin.com/uMimAs7E

Any solutions to either the start menu issue or the powershell crash? Thanks in advance. ;)

Solution
Your version is actually 1507, its the original release build of Win 10 from 2015. And its so old both fixes I could offer for DISM wouldn't work. Only option is to upgrade it to current build which is Version 1703, Build 15063.483, The fastest way to fix this is to download the Windows 10 media creation tool (Click 2nd button) and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Once USB is made, put it back into PC, open file explorer and navigate to USB and run setup.exe
choose to upgrade current PC and it will upgrade win 10 to current build

You could use media creation tool to upgrade windows without making USB but if update didn't work for some reason, you would need to download all the files again. Making USB means you only...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running SFC/DISM in command prompt, it might fix powershell

open command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

There are are different reasons why you are encountering a PowerShell error message. To isolate your concern, we suggest that you create a new user profile and check if you will still get the same error message. Just make sure to back up your files, so you can transfer them to the new user profile if the issue is due to your old data.
If the issue persist, you can perform a clean boot by following the steps on this link.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-powershell-has-stopped-working-error/10b99c39-1070-4b68-ae24-be477bb5ada3

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015

I've used sfc/scannow so many times, how ever nothing bad is found. When trying to use DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth it never properly finishes, saying that an error has occured. This whole start menu problem only happens on my account, however the powershell issue happens on all acounts

Colif

Win 11 Master
hmnm, wonder what the dism error is, the start menu and powershell bugs might be related. Can you go to C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log and upload a copy of the log to a file sharing web site and show link here?

If there is a problem with the image that DISM fixes, then correcting powershell on all accounts could require a clean install to fix.

What version of windows 10 are you on?
right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter
If you are on Version 1703. you might want to try this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015

Heres the dsim logs from yesterday: https://pastebin.com/YkcCnJLE

It also says im on version 10.0 (Build 10240)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your version is actually 1507, its the original release build of Win 10 from 2015. And its so old both fixes I could offer for DISM wouldn't work. Only option is to upgrade it to current build which is Version 1703, Build 15063.483, The fastest way to fix this is to download the Windows 10 media creation tool (Click 2nd button) and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Once USB is made, put it back into PC, open file explorer and navigate to USB and run setup.exe
choose to upgrade current PC and it will upgrade win 10 to current build

You could use media creation tool to upgrade windows without making USB but if update didn't work for some reason, you would need to download all the files again. Making USB means you only download once. Also handy if reset doesn't work as there are other uses for the installer.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS