Lillemanden

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
I'm buying a new PC (listed below) and someone said to me that I needed a PSU with 350W (insted of a 300W), is that true?

Lillemanden

BTW I'm aware that my spelling sucks, but I'm not english...

My computer:
Asus A7M266 ATX
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1333MHz
DDR-SDRAM PC2100 Kingston 256MB (266MHz)
Asus AGP-V8200 GeForce3 Pure
Samsung SyncMaster 750P
IBM DeskStar 75GXP 30GB
Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 12X Bulk
AOpen HQ08 ATX (Grey)
Thermal Take Technology Volcano II (Socket A)
Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live! Player 5.1 + DTT2200
Diskette Drev Panasonic
Logitech Deluxe Access Retail
Logitech Pilot Wheel Mouse Optical

icyura10

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
um... with what you have listed.. I'd recommend a 400 watter... I recently built one with similar components execpt I have 2 75G IBM's and a couple of other goodies... also, I have 6 case fans just to cause the inside to act like a small wind tunnel!

<font color=red>It's ewe n' me against the world, n' I think ewe are gonna get creamed</font color=red> :eek:

G

Given your system config., a 350 watt PS would likely be more than sufficient. However, not all PS's are created equal, and top quality 300 PS's are often superior to some 400 watters.

Antec's tend to be mediocre; Sparkle's are generally good middle-of-the-roaders; and PC Power & Cooling PS's are excellent but expensive (and relatively noisy).

I have a system similar to yours, except it's fully loaded and I am using 3 10K SCSI hard-drives. The PS is an Enermax 451, and I have no power related instabilities. An Enermax 351 (actual=330) would probably do you fine if economy is a concern.

One thing to remember is that switching power supplies only supply the power you need. Using a PS greater than your needs ensures that you never overtax it, it subsequently lasts longer, and you don't have to worry about power insufficiencies that lead to hard-to-troubleshoot instabilities. A good quality 400 watter would provide that edge.

Lillemanden

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
Ok, but where do you buy a powersuply over 300W. I've been looking and I can only find up to 300W and servertowers with 335W. If anybody know where I can buy a powersuply with 400W please write a post. Remember that they have to ship to Denmark, since I live there.

Lillemanden

[UPDATE]
A guy just told me in a nother forum, that he is running a T-Bird 1Ghz with a GeForce 2 GTS and else our computers are the same, on a 250W PSU. So I gues I should be able to run my with 300W.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lillemanden on 05/14/01 09:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

rd382

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2001
First of all about the case if your having trubble find 300/350w p/s in a ATX case you may want to try getting a case seperatly.

Im building a system similar to yours where did you get your motherboard? where did you get your CPU?

Im getting Hercules Game Theitor XP instead of the SB PLAT 5.1 its cheaper and from the reviews better

Where are you getting your v8200? iv benn having trubble finding one and im trying to compare its preformance next to the Hercules 3D Prophet III

What have your ordered already?

<font color=green>I can draw tyte give me the damn crayon!</font color=green>

Lillemanden

Distinguished
May 13, 2001
I'm not having any trouble finding a PSU on 300W, and now I found out that I don't need more than 300W, so I'm not looking for a PSU on 350W no more.

All of my stuff I'm buying through a danish site called:
www.edbpriser.dk

But unless you speak danish it won't help you.