Powersupply fried MOBO?

StormieSkys

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
So, I built a gaming computer for my girlfriend using spare parts lying around.

Specs:
Intel i5 4690k
GTX 1060
16 gigs of ram
1TB HDD
200 gig SDD
PSU: 550w

And at the time, I thought the 550w PSU would be enough to cover all of those parts, as I checked using an online calculator that told me the components in my computer, all together, needed 346w, so I thought the 550w PSU would be more then enough.

Recently, her computer has been crashing and has been unable to launch games (with an error stating "Cannot find video device" or something similar), typically that error message appears before the whole computer crashes. I gave her this computer back in October, and since then, it has been working just fine for the most part. These are recent issues, and I have told her not to use it until I can get it fixed.

After putting the parts in another PSU calculator, I realized that the PSU in her computer was NOT appropriate for the amount of power the devices in it needed (546w), and I must have made an error somewhere the first time I calculated it.

My question is, what do I need to replace? I know I need to replace the psu, but do you think I may have to replace the CPU, GPU, and mobo as well? Or maybe just one or two of those things?

EDIT: Also, before you ask, yes I checked the CPU and GPU temps, they're fine.

Those parts you listed will draw less than 400W even at full load. A reliable 500W PSU should be plenty.
CPU .................88W (95-100W overclocked)
GPU ...............120W max
Motherboard.... 50W max
16GB RAM .......7W max
1TB HDD .......10W max
200 gig SDD ...1.5W max
DVD RW ..........5W max

It isn't just about wattage, you need a reliable PSU.
What's the model of the PSU?

StormieSkys

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

XFX TS 550w Full Wired 80+ Bronze Power Supply
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/ts-series-bronze-full-wired/ts-series-550w-psu-p1-550s-gren

I don't know if the PSU was faulty or caused the issue, but I don't trust PSUs that do not divulge their continue power delivery.

I was looking at that PSU specifications and nowhere it mentions the constant power it could output.
It only states the "Maximum Wattage:550W", which means it could output 550W but we do not know for how long...a minute, an hour, a second. It doesn't specifies any where the constant or continuous power it could deliver.

In contrast, you look at Seasonic Focus Plus 550W it states that "Total continuous power:550W...so you know it delivers a constant 550W at all times.
The same goes for Corsair TX550M 550W, it states "550 Watts continue power"

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

If you go to the XFX page then click on the Specs tab about halfway down, it states 44W on the 12V rail. So, 528W available.

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/ts-series-bronze-full-wired/ts-series-550w-psu-p1-550s-gren

StormieSkys

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

That doesn't make sense, I literally bought the HDD for her build, it was the only thing I purchased for it (that, and the CPU cooling fan.) so it's brand new.

I really do not know what could be causing the issues; the cpu and gpu both are not overheating, the only thing I thought that could be causing it was the PSU, but maybe that isn't as much as an issue as I thought. I'm really at a loss at what could causing her these weird crashes... maybe a failing GPU?