powerup problem

G

Hi, I am building my first computer.850 t-bird,a7v,128mb,s.b.x-gamer,gforce2mx,and IBM 30.7gb ata100
hard drive.The problem I have is when I plug in the power supply the cooling fans spin,but nothing else. No beeps,video or power to keyboard.The power supply is a 300watt with no external switch.The LED on the case comes on,but the switch will only turn power off.I triple checked
case to motherboard connections per the manual.Also the motherboard led is on when I plug in the powersupply.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Can't wait to get this thing running!!

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Remember, you are using an ATX power supply, so the board is always live as long as the power supply is plugged into AC. (That is what allows wake on LAN, wake on modem, etc.)

Check all your jumpers. Many boards come with the BIOS reset jumper enabled. You need to disable it.

G

Thanks for answering GMAN.My board is in jumperfree mode.
I did not come across a bios reset jumper.All the other jumpers are in default and the dipp switches are off.
This is how the manual specifies to configure.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Remove everything but your processor&fan, the memory, video card and HDD. Make sure your memory is installed in the first available slot. Carefully remove and look at your cpu to see if you see any signs of heat damage. If not replace it and reinstall the heat sink and fan being carefull as not to damage the chip. Does the heatsink fan as well spin? You did not by any chance power this new setup on without haveing the heatsink and fan installed did you?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

the jumper is normally very near the battery ... it is also called cmos reset ... i have never seen a mb without one and if it is in the wrong position the board will not attempt to post ... try the other recommendations gman and incognito made ... making sure the memory and cpu are fully seated ... cpu, memory, and cmos reset jumper are almost the only things that will keep a mb from attempting to post ... good luck

Regards,
Chas