Question PPPoE ip address different from the ip shown by ipchicken or other such services so I can't figure out port forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2020
Hi!

So my setup is like this:

LAN output modem with fiber optic input ----> mi router's wan port --> my devices

For reference the modem is this : https://www.syrotech.com/Product/EPON-ONU-SY-GOPON-1000R-ONU-1GE-ONU.html
And the router is TP-Link MiWiFi Mi Router 3C Model R3L

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-9-36-40-PM.png

What I do not understand is if I login into the router and see the public IP, it's something like 10.20.xxx.xxx. But if I go to, for example, ipchicken.com it shows it to be like 103.57.xx.xxx

Moreover, using this setup, I cannot access the admin area of the modem. If I put the default gateway shown in the above screenshot, it goes nowhere. The only way I can login into the modem's admin area is if I directly connect my computer to the modem's output LAN Port. Now, I have a free ddns.net domain name that is alloted the 103.57.xx.xxx address automatically using the MiWiFi's ddns option.

I am unable to understand why those two IPs are different and how am I supposed to port forward using this setup? Should this domain point to the 10.20.xxx.xxx address or the 103.57.xx.xxx address so that I can reach my devices using the internet? With my previous connection which wasn't fiber, the 103.57.xx.xxx address would be the only address I had to deal with and it was assigned to the ddns.net domain and port forwarding would work. But here, I do not know what's going on!

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hi!

So my setup is like this:

LAN output modem with fiber optic input ----> mi router's wan port --> my devices

For reference the modem is this : https://www.syrotech.com/Product/EPON-ONU-SY-GOPON-1000R-ONU-1GE-ONU.html
And the router is TP-Link MiWiFi.

Screenshot-2020-07-19-at-9-36-40-PM.png

What I do not understand is if I login into the router and see the public IP, it's something like 10.20.xxx.xxx. But if I go to, for example, ipchicken.com it shows it to be like 103.57.xx.xxx

Moreover, using this setup, I cannot access the admin area of the modem. If I put the default gateway shown in the above screenshot, it goes nowhere. The only way I can login into the modem's admin area is if I directly connect my computer to the modem's output LAN Port. Now, I have a free ddns.net domain name that is alloted the 103.57.xx.xxx address automatically using the MiWiFi's ddns option.

I am unable to understand why those two IPs are different and how am I supposed to port forward using this setup? Should this domain point to the 10.20.xxx.xxx address or the 103.57.xx.xxx address so that I can reach my devices using the internet? With my previous connection which wasn't fiber, the 103.57.xx.xxx address would be the only address I had to deal with and it was assigned to the ddns.net domain and port forwarding would work. But here, I do not know what's going on!

Thanks for your time!
You don't have a public IP address. Your have a NAT somewhere in front of your connection. A "10." IP address is a private IP.
What is the model number of the router? "MiWIFI" doesn't identify a specific model.

Reactions: pikachewww
Status
Not open for further replies.