[SOLVED] PPT, TDC AND EDC 99% when stress testing.

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
In ryzen master PPT AND TDC go to 99% when strees testings my ryzen 2600 (stock 3.4ghz).

Precision Boost Overdrive is set to auto in Bios, can i modify these values manually to prevent them go to 99%, obviously if there´s not risk or something since i dont know what these values are.

PPT 99% of 87W Limit 1000W

TDC 99% of 60A Limit 114A

EDC 99% of 90A Limit 168A

MB is MSI B450M GAMING PLUS.

When choosing power saver power plan, all of them are not a 99%, when using ryzen balanced or ultimate perfomance then they EDC go to 99% but PBT and TDC stays normal, when stress testing PBT AND TDC go 99% and EDC go down to normal.

Solution
In ryzen master PPT AND TDC go to 99% when strees testings my ryzen 2600 (stock 3.4ghz).

Precision Boost Overdrive is set to auto in Bios, can i modify these values manually to prevent them go to 99%, obviously if there´s not risk or something since i dont know what these values are.

When choosing power saver power plan, all of them are not a 99%, when using ryzen balanced or ultimate perfomance then they EDC go to 99% but PBT and TDC stays normal, when stress testing PBT AND TDC go 99% and EDC go down to normal.
Package Power Tracking (“PPT”): The PPT threshold is the allowed socket power consumption permitted...
Important question is, what you want to achieve? -simply because you don't "like" to see those values at 99% isn't really a good reason.
That is, no matter what (reasonable) settings you use, one or two of these values will always reach 99% at full load. That's the purpose of these settings -to limit power and/or current draw.
So, if your PC (CPU) is working normal... why you wish to change these parameters?

Package Power Tracking (“PPT”): The PPT threshold is the allowed socket power consumption permitted across the voltage rails supplying the socket. Applications with high thread counts, and/or “heavy” threads, can encounter PPT limits that can be alleviated with a raised PPT limit.

Default for Socket AM4 is at least 88W on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

Thermal Design Current (“TDC”): The maximum current (amps) that can be delivered by a specific motherboard’s voltage regulator configuration in thermally-constrained scenarios.

Default for socket AM4 is at least 60A on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

Electrical Design Current (“EDC”): The maximum current (amps) that can be delivered by a specific motherboard’s voltage regulator configuration in a peak (“spike”) condition for a short period of time.

Default for socket AM4 is 90A on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

As I see it, these limits are really established to protect weak VRM's. So in that sense, it's desireable for it to go to the 99% limit under extreme heavy processing loads as that shows the processor is working as far is the VRM protection allows. You can extend the limits after enabling PBO and then the processor will push to the limit of it's own silicon abilities and the percentage will be lower since it may not be able to achieve it (the PBO extended limits).

Solution
As I see it, these limits are really established to protect weak VRM's. So in that sense, it's desireable for it to go to the 99% limit under extreme heavy processing loads as that shows the processor is working as far is the VRM protection allows. You can extend the limits after enabling PBO and then the processor will push to the limit of it's own silicon abilities and the percentage will be lower since it may not be able to achieve it (the PBO extended limits).
You should only do this if you can monitor your VRM temps and if hey are ok, high temps will degrade the capacitors of your mobo over time.

TRENDING THREADS