[SOLVED] Pre Build Pc Upgrading Help

Dec 20, 2020
As the title says i have a pre built pc that i would like to upgrade with new parts. Below is my current PC. I am from the UK.

Current PC
CPU: AMD FX 4300(it is really old haha)
Gpu: Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
RAM: 8GB
Morther Board: MSI 760G-P23(FX) MS-7641
Fans 3, one on the back, side and front. Also have a standard CPU fan that comes with it.

Upgrade Parts
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X
GPU: AMD card equal to the rtx 3080?
RAM: Corsair Vengance LPx DDR4 3200 MHz 2x16 C16 XMP High performace
Mortherboard: MSI MAG B550M Mortar wifi micro atx am4
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

I need more help with the technical stuff. I need advice on what motherboard to buy? what fans and power supply to buy? Is there and AMD graphics card that is equal to the GTX 3080? Perhaps i can get a cheaper Wifi Board? or go with a 3060 ti instead of the 3080? The Ryzen 7 only does up to 3200 MHz on ram speed. Any advice would be great.

Solution
Nice setup you will have there, I would go 750w for a little more headroom. Corsair, Seasonic, beQuiet.... I don't know what is available where you live. As for the Mobo do you mean the Asus ROG Croshair Hero VIII Wifi, if you like Asus (i have never had an issue with any I have had) a ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WIFI, is much cheaper but will give you really all you need for your planned build.
The best fans depend on your case, ambient temp, usage, air cooler, custom loop, AIO......so it is very hard to give a "that is the best" answer
CPU : Ryzen 5600x, does need a decent cooler but nothing excessive.
GPU : AMD 6800 or the xt (if you can find them..... good luck now but from Jan/Feb on there should be more) the 3060ti is weaker in raw renderinggaming, less VRAM but has DLSS 2.0 and proper Ray-tracing going for it.
RAM : Corsair/Gskill.... C16 3600mhz, Ryzen 5000 series has no worrys with 3600mhz XMP out of the box.
Mobo : Asus/Asrock B550 or x570, MSI I don't rate toooooo highly personally.
SSD : Nvme 250 gb for Windows.... 970 Evo Samsung (bloody fast) and a 1 TB + whatever for storage..... Samsung, Crucial....
PSU : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Fans : https://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-fans/

Hope this helps and gives a few ideas

Cheers

Schlachtwolf

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdStew

iq7

Dec 18, 2020
The RTX 3080 is newer and superior , closest competitor (AMD ) to the RTX 3080 is RX 6800 XT ( and i think the RADEON VII and rx5600 too ) but tbh , the RTX 3080 is the fastest and most powerful right now .
PSU : 750w

The RTX 3080 is newer and superior , closest competitor (AMD ) to the RTX 3080 is RX 6800 XT ( and i think the RADEON VII and rx5600 too ) but tbh , the RTX 3080 is the fastest and most powerful right now .
PSU : 750w

Ah no.... the RTX 3090 is the fastest and most powerful right now. The 6800xt smacks the 3080's bottom unless you enable ray-tracing and with "only" 10GB of VRAM will not age well. If you read the post from the author he has an FX 4300, he keeps his PC for the long haul. He is not Ray-tracing as of now and Cyberpunk 77 is not his aim with the parts he listed above. An RX 5600 is nowhere near a 3080.... go check.

I am not an AMD fan boy or Nvidia which is proven as I have both in my current main build.

Dec 20, 2020
The best fans depend on your case, ambient temp, usage, air cooler, custom loop, AIO......so it is very hard to give a "that is the best" answer
CPU : Ryzen 5600x, does need a decent cooler but nothing excessive.
GPU : AMD 6800 or the xt (if you can find them..... good luck now but from Jan/Feb on there should be more) the 3060ti is weaker in raw rendering gaming but has DLSS 2.0 and proper Ray-tracing going for it.
RAM : Corsair/Gskill.... C16 3600mhz, Ryzen 5000 series has no worrys with 3600mhz XMP out of the box.
Mobo : Asus/Asrock B550 or x570, MSI I don't rate toooooo highly personally.
SSD : Nvme 250 gb for Windows.... 970 Evo Samsung (bloody fast) and a 1 TB + whatever for storage..... Samsung, Crucial....
PSU : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Fans : https://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-fans/

Hope this helps and gives a few ideas

Cheers

Schlachtwolf
Thank you for the speedy reply. I have a cooler master case that houses the pre build pc i am on. I dont have an AIO or custum loop, air cooler. The cooler master case has a top slot for a fan. I use the PC for gaming. Idle tempreture is 27c,max is 85c, Minimum is 25c and max is 44c. When in normal use the cpu temp is at 35 to 40c

USAFRet

Titan
As the title says i have a pre built pc that i would like to upgrade with new parts. Below is my current PC. I am from the UK.
Q1: How proprietary is the current system? Dell, HP, Lenovo? SFF case?
Q2: What is the specific power supply? Make/model, please.

That upgrade path you propose only retains the case and maybe PSU from the original.
A better option would be to sell the old thing as is, and build all new.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf

jasonf2

Distinguished
For the specs of the system you have listed you are going to be happier just starting fresh. I have done this several times over the years and once a computer gets more than a couple of years old "upgrading" means replacing just about everything except the case and maybe an os if you get really lucky. AMD for years lagged pretty bad on IPC and the FX era cpus despite core count are a far cry from a latest generation ryzen or i7/i9 in processing power. Current gen stuff for gaming is really wanting at least 6 strong cores and a strong gpu. Updating to a latest gen will result in new cpu, motherboard, ram and powersupply. Throw in the GPU and really the only part that is a maybe is the hard drive. Here again the latest is going to be a m.2 or pci ssd. Depending on the FX board even if you have a ssd there is a good chance you are running an older sata drive. If you put all of these parts in all you have really kept is the case. For your path regardless Tom's has a really great build section that works towards the budget you want to spend. I would go there and start to look. One other point to realize. Right now is probably one of the worst times ever for getting a GPU. Recent releases, coupled with production shortages and scalping has made it pretty tough to get a good one for several months. Best of luck on your build!

Dec 20, 2020
Q1: How proprietary is the current system? Dell, HP, Lenovo? SFF case?
Q2: What is the specific power supply? Make/model, please.

That upgrade path you propose only retains the case and maybe PSU from the original.
A better option would be to sell the old thing as is, and build all new.
The system had windows 10 in it from the start. the case is this one, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-HAF-912-RC-912-KKN1-GP/dp/B003ZM7YTA
The power supply is 300 watts i think since its a pre built one.

USAFRet

Titan

iq7

Dec 18, 2020
Ah no.... the RTX 3090 is the fastest and most powerful right now. The 6800xt smacks the 3080's bottom unless you enable ray-tracing and with "only" 10GB of VRAM will not age well. If you read the post from the author he has an FX 4300, he keeps his PC for the long haul. He is not Ray-tracing as of now and Cyberpunk 77 is not his aim with the parts he listed above. An RX 5600 is nowhere near a 3080.... go check.

I am not an AMD fan boy or Nvidia which is proven as I have both in my current main build.
holy f*ck .. i dint know tht the 3090 has been released lmao , i miss the update bcs my trip .
btw thnk you ..

Dec 20, 2020
Thank you all for the help so far. I see that i cant get the AMD 6800 or the XT version anywhere at the moment. Same with th Ryzen 5600x What version of the 6800x should i get? as there are a lot of different variants. just to clarify I should get a 256gb ssd for Windows operating system and a 1TB SSD for the Main drive to put the games and such on it?

The Ryzen 5600x does better on single core performance from what it is stated in online reviews. Does single core performace matter in terms of gaming? It will be early next year before sellers get stock back no doubt.

Single core performance is THE most important factor in a CPU for gaming, multi-core is growing in importance but single core speed is still king. The XFX Merc in both the 6800 and xt variant have gotten very good reviews, I have an Asus 6800xt with an AIO cooler ordered but it is a good 200€ more expensive than one with the normal triple fan cooler here in Germany, so it all comes down to your budget. Asus TUF is also worth a shout out.

Dec 20, 2020
So here are the new parts i plan to have so far. please let me know if it is wrong or too much and so on. I need a wifi motherboard as my internet is wifi only. Can i get a cheaper wifi motherboard that will work with all these parts or will i need to buy the current one i have listed? Is the stock cooler for the Ryzen 5600 worth using or do it get the new cooler i have listed?

What Power supply would best suit the new parts i have listed? A 650 or higher? Will i need better fans for the side and back of the case for the new parts? From what i can see online my current case the Cooler Master HAF 912 will fit the AMD 6800. Though thie case is no longer made and it cost a bit of money it seems so i got lucky getting it id say.

New Parts I Plan To Get so far
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
GPU: AMD 6800
Motherboard: Asus 570 Wifi
Ram: 2x16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 (pc4- 25600, c16, 1.35V amd optimised
CPU Fan: Be quiet Dark Rock 4 135mm
Other Fans: I will keep the 3 fans from my current cooler if possible?
Samsung970 sdd 256gb and 1 tb

Last edited:
Nice setup you will have there, I would go 750w for a little more headroom. Corsair, Seasonic, beQuiet.... I don't know what is available where you live. As for the Mobo do you mean the Asus ROG Croshair Hero VIII Wifi, if you like Asus (i have never had an issue with any I have had) a ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS WIFI, is much cheaper but will give you really all you need for your planned build.

Solution
Dec 20, 2020
The Rog Strix B550-f Gaming Wifi board is a bit cheaper than one you have suggested. Perhpas in the new year when sales hit it will be cheaper i hope. if i can get a good and well priced 750w power supply ill get it.

Dec 20, 2020
So the Rog Stix 550 board i was going to get, it turns out it was made last year in June or July and the is a high chance that it would need to have its bios updated and i do think it has a flash BIOS button from what i can find out about it online. It is also noted it has bad VRM, whatever that means.

Instead i will go for this board, https://pangoly.com/en/review/msi-mag-b550m-mortar-wifi as it was made in July of last year and should not require a bios update for the Ryzen 5600x. Maybe there is a similar board that has a closer release date that is compatabile?

Perhaps there is a board that is not Micro ATX form factor? i am guesssing that Micro is worse than the normal size board? Is this one better, https://pangoly.com/en/review/msi-mpg-b550-gaming-edge-wifi

Last edited: