Pre-building components, can i download games and such before installing hdd?

nednerbish

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
My new case wont be here til Monday:,( I wondered if I can get a jump start on anything. I have every part except the case and coolmaster cpu fan. I really don't want to break out the mobo, cpu until the case gets here. Have a 3yo and a cat. Can I hook my 1bt Seagate hdd and crucial 256 ssd and start adding my games and other must have files before hand? I have a corsair 430w psu in my current pc and I have a stock hp w 750ti gpu. So Im unsure if I have an extra cable to hook up and additional hdd. Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

Solution

Wait for that. No need to do it now.
And no video needed. See this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231

You're putting the cart before the horse, trying to get software set up before you have the OS installed.

In automotive terms: "To save time going to the gas station later, can I fill up the gas tank before I install it?"

SortNVF

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
If you meen files and programs youll need, sure just pile them on whatever storage drive you intend. But you cant make a windows installation and actually install the files before its hooked up to the new mobo/cpu.

Windows installation sets itself up according to hardware (mainly cpu and mobo) so most likely an installation on the ssd wouldnt boot on the new comp.

I fequently use old hdd's as mobile storage for pc repair or setup. I dont really trust external hdd drives due to heat and controller issues.

nednerbish

Honorable
Oct 22, 2014
Okay I see. I forgot to add I am on win 7 now and the new ones going to have win8.1. What would you do? I have absolutely no clue how to use the ssd either. Is that something I can config beforehand? Im going to watch tutorials all weekend as this is my 1st build ever and Im clueless.

SortNVF

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Well id start out by making a test install of that win 8.1. Personally i allmost shot the computer 15 minutes into using win
8.1 due to compatability issues and general dislike for colored junk on my desktop.

As for the SSD theres notthing much different from any other HDD about it. Supposidly its where your OS is going, so asides from formatting it theres not much you can do about it till its hooked up where its going. Personally id say ISO's and programs ready for installation goes on a storage drive not on the OS drive.

Seems i just learned to tape up all unused power plugs on my PSU, to avoid shortcircuits from cables touching metal. Even modular PSU's will have a loose connector here and there.

USAFRet

Titan
Currently, you are missing the case and CPU cooler.
The CPU cooler is kind of necessary.

The CPU won't run without the cooler, and you can't do anything without the CPU.
Wait until all the stuff comes in. Especially if you are installing a whole new OS on it.

Anything you put together now will just have to be redone once you get the case.

USAFRet

Titan

Wait for that. No need to do it now.
And no video needed. See this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231

You're putting the cart before the horse, trying to get software set up before you have the OS installed.

In automotive terms: "To save time going to the gas station later, can I fill up the gas tank before I install it?"

Solution