Pre-built computer: having BSOD "kernal_data_inpage_error" and DMIpool

defn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
So recently I've been getting very random BSODs, sometimes I get it twice a day, and other times I've gone 7days + without one.

The most recent BSOD happened last night, and when I tried to boot up I was stuck at Verifying DMI pool data..
After some fiddling I finally got it to boot, and quickly saved all important documents on my HDD. The BSOD always says Kernal_Data_inpage_error, and after going into event viewer, I noticed "
Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1"

This and the Verifying DMI pool data leads me to believe it may be harddrive issue, althought I still have no idea. It seems that whenever the BSODs happen they do not complete and crash while trying to do the information dump. Therefore I get no minidump files on these BSODS :(, which makes it very difficult to diagnose. I believe it has told me atapi.sys is part of the problem. I am going to run the Hitachi disk drive utility to make sure the parts of the drive are formatted correctly:

Here are my computer specs
HDD: Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 2TB 7200RPM
PSU: Coonix COPS - 800 (800 W) --- This PSU I cannot find any documentation on, I wonder about this.
MOBO: INTEL-x58A (Gigabyte)
Ram: 12 GB (Unknown specs) probably cheap
Processor: Intel core i7 960 @3.20 GHZ
GFX: XFX ATI RADEON 6950 HD 2GB
NZXT Phantom
Note: This is a costco build
Running Windows 7

If you need anymore information the computer is currently running, but I am not confident for how long.
Especially because the booting is so temperamental.

The main issue is the BSODs
And my thinking is a hard drive issue.

Thanks!

well, hitachi hard drives are poor quality, and you mentioned in your build that your RAM is, unknown?? three places you dont want to skimp on is ram, power supply and hard drive. try swapping out those parts one by one, and you'll find your problem

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

maybe just the drives you might of had but i have never had one fail on me. and I have 4 plus servers at work rarely ever had to replace one .. however seagate drives... thats a different story

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
manually take out the sticks.. its and post it one at a time and run mem test .. but like the guy said nothing is perfect so it may as well be the hard drive but the kernal dump leads me to ram issue.. is it over clocked any ?

defn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I will use Memtest86+ on a bootable ISO
I've never done this before, how long is a sufficient amount of time for each test, especially since I have to do multiple tests with and without each stick.

defn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
So I ran memtest with all my sticks in just to test it out, I haven't had time to run stick by stick, but this BSOD is another one I just got today. again no dump data.. :(

ydw6s.jpg

NTFS.sys it says is the problem this time..

defn

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
All modules were tested one by one, with 3-5 passes with no errors found. Unsure what next method of testing should be: I may end up upgrading to a SSD , and moving my current hitachi 2tb as a storage drive, that would rule out a HD issue correct?

You could try that if you want to get an SSD, but if the hard drive is the problem, then it might not work as a storage drive either. Do you have another computer, even if it is an old one, to use for testing your PSU? It might be better to try ruling it out first.