Question Pre-built Computer -- Possibly Overclocked -- Need Help

Apr 1, 2023
So, I bought a pre-built computer with an Intel i9-10900K and an Nvidia 3080 I'm pretty sure my system is overclocked (my temperatures run high on idle and in games) but I'm unsure how to confirm or even what I can do to fix this. I was wondering if anyone knew how to or has any tutorials on how to disable overclocking for this setup.

I'm not confident at all in Bios or really anything beyond basic knowledge of computer operation, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, my setup is typically running around 40-45C on idle and can reach >80C while gaming. The ambient temperature is around 18*C as of this post.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
an i9 is going to run a bit hotter. 3080 will add some heat. >80 needs to be more specific. For what you have, I don't see an issue except for the unspecified over 80 temp. Peak at 81 is much different than constant 88 or such.

I am more interested in your cooling, fans and case.

Apr 1, 2023
So I pulled this directly off of Micro Center's website: the case is a "Lian Li mATX 205" and the cooling system is a "Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm Water Cooling Kit mounted on an ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E Gaming System Board."

Temperature limits according to GPU-Z says:
Current 83*C
Minimum 65*C
Default 83*C
Maximum 93*C
Adjustment Range -22% to +10%

While MSIAfterBurner shows I'm idling at 39C. Personally, I have never caught my system running 90C I think the highest I ever observed it reaching was 88C but I don't always monitor it closely.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
Your system will run hotter, just because it is higher end, but I don't see anything too worrisome. Might check your cooling to make sure everything is tight, maybe do a repaste if you really think something is happening, and to give peace of mind.

I have no experience with water cooling so hopefully others with actual experience can pipe in.

Apr 1, 2023
That is reassuring, sometimes I just get that smell of heated plastic coming off of my unit and that makes me think that I might be damaging my components.

Is there any way to confirm whether or not my system is overclocked? My GPU Clock is equal to the Default Clock on GPU-Z, but I'm not certain what is running on the CPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How about some pictures of the innards of this PC, so we can see the position of the fans and the coolers?
You must use an image hosting site, like imgur.com to post pics here. Please remove the glass panel before you take the pics.

Also, please be more precise with which device you're reporting thermals on.
"For reference, my setup is typically running around 40-45C on idle and can reach >80C while gaming." <- this is confusing, as who can tell if it's the cpu or gpu?

The 10900K has 10 cores, and yes, there are temperature readings for each core. You should see what they're all doing.
You can use hwinfo, as suggested by Rokinamerica.

There's 5 versions of a Lian Li 205. Well, they show 5, but one is just the inclusion of a type-C port...
Which one do you have? https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-205/

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My case is the mesh variant, which does not have a type-C port as far as I can tell. Those temps I quoted were pulled from MSI Afterburner, so I believe they are related to my GPU.
Afterburner can also display cpu core thermals, if adjusted in the settings menu.
So then, this older statement, "For reference, my setup is typically running around 40-45C on idle and can reach >80C while gaming.", is the gpu then.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/cwBrjMx

Not the best pictures but I have limited space to maneuver my camera.
Looks dusty. Perhaps time for a cleaning.
Is the case located in a cramped space or under a desk? I'm not really sure about the 2nd image.

TRENDING THREADS