pre built/ home upgraded computer freezing after 4 years

Aug 16, 2018
Hi everyone, last march I upgraded the internals of my prebuilt 2014 cyber power pc (specs below) I added an evga 1080, elgato capture card, and a 500gb ssd. PC worked fine for months while streaming and playing games fine at 80+fps. I didn't play many pc games for the months of June and July but now in August, I wanted to get back into the new WoW game. Now my pc is freezing after I startup world of Warcraft and I even tested out a different game (steam game: evil within 2) each session of gaming last between 10minutes to an hour before my whole system freezes and i have to hard restart it (hold down the power button). I've uninstalled/reinstalled all drivers, rolled back drivers, cooling is fine for GPU and temp is between 30c to 50c, and system reset windows. I also removed the GPU and used the CPU to see if the freezing would stop and it didn't. I'm hitting my head against a wall don't know what else to do.

Spec's:
I7-6700 @4GHz
EVGA nvidia 1080
8gb of ram
600 watt psu
elgato hd60 pro
500gb SSD
1tb HDD

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I apologize in that I am unfamiliar with whether your 6700 is an unlocked proc, but thought I would pass along an experience I had with my 1080.

Playing Ashes:
If I OC the proc at all, I can't run the graphics beyond the "low end" of high settings. If I do the computer will freeze and crash. When I remove the OC I can run the settings on graphics as high as they will go and play all day. Temps were never an issue. I have had the same thing on Witcher, and Sniper 4.

Aug 16, 2018

I'm not OC though, Im using MSI afterburner to monitor the gpu and stuff, but i havnt messed with any of the settings.

Aug 16, 2018
I dont know if i should take the whole computer to Geek squad since i know they are gonna charge a stupid amount of money for potentially not even solving the problem.

My PC runs amazing outside of gaming web surfing, micosoft office stuff. Just the gaming thats making it freeze up.

Aug 16, 2018

ok so i wouldnt get a different result from reinstalling os since i reset it

Aug 16, 2018

i did do this and got the same result, about 20minutes before whole system froze on me

Aug 16, 2018

how do i know if a psu goes bad? and ill double check it now.

logainofhades

Titan
Aug 16, 2018
How does it narrow down to the PSU? I just don't wanna start buying parts without knowing 100%. It was working fine now is when I'm running into the problem. I also noticed that my CPU fan isn't spinning anymore but the temp is still fine (35c-68c on the last freeze). could that be part of the reason why the PSU isn't enough?

Aug 16, 2018
So update. I got the CPU fan working (even though it was never overheating). I went into the bios and set everything to "optimized" and now I cant even get my monitors to get an image from the tower lol this day is just getting better. I factory reset the bios by removing the internal battery but still no luck on getting an image on the monitor. I'm about to just part out the pc and buy a new one lol. Any tips or sanity words.

TRENDING THREADS