Pre-built laptop suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haysmt228

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
Hi all,
A friend is asking me advice on a gaming laptop that she can buy. She's not looking to build one but preferably a pre-built one. She mentioned her budget is around $500 and that the main game her daughter would play is mine craft. I haven't played the game so I don't know much about what specs a computer would need nor do I use laptops for gaming.

She had a few laptops she was considering and I wanted to see if you all new of better options or perhaps specific specs that might help her get the most out of her budget.

Idea 1. Sams club laptop https://m.samsclub.com/ip/hp-15-bs178cl-i5-8250u-qc-marine-blue/prod21397640

Idea 2. I coukd find the link but the pic she sent had these specs listed Hp touchscreen 15.9,amd a9-9420 DC processor, 8mb memory, 2tb hard drive

Thank you for any advice you can give

Solution
Your first idea would be better and will suit her/daughters needs, the only thing you'll want to do (if you or someone you know has a bit of tech knowledge) is get rid of the bloatware on the HP system then download the newest iGPU drivers. Doing so will speed up the laptop a bit and ensure the better gaming performance.

WildCard999

Titan
Your first idea would be better and will suit her/daughters needs, the only thing you'll want to do (if you or someone you know has a bit of tech knowledge) is get rid of the bloatware on the HP system then download the newest iGPU drivers. Doing so will speed up the laptop a bit and ensure the better gaming performance.

Solution

Haysmt228

Reputable
Jul 17, 2017
Awesome. Thank you for the replies. Do you all know of any other pre-built that may be a better fit? I haven't tried Newegg yet.

Also In reference to the bloatware, are you saying uninstall the graphics driver that comes with the pc then find out, perhaps with dxdiag, which manufacturer the graphics card is and go to the manufacturers site and download the driver from them? I have some understanding and knowledge with my own personal computer, but I'm not that familiar with laptops

Feb 21, 2018
With HP/Acer it’s literally money down the drain. In over 10+ years of experience I have not seen a single person with one without issues within a year or two and support is terrible. I’d say go Dell or Asus. Dell allows self upgrades without voiding warranty and support is pretty good, same with Asus. FYI if you buy from Costco you get 4 Years warranty on almost electronics including Laptops. Dell also gives discounts just by calling them. Look into the Inspiron 7567 it comes with a 1080P IPS and the I7 7700HQ version with a GTX1050TI should be $600 with discounts. Note that the 7700HQ is more powerful than the 15 Watt 8th gen low power CPUs in the links mentioned above. Costco even had the 7577 I5 version with a GTX1060 for ~$600 recently, it has a fingerprint reader too. These are leagues ahead over the HP ones in the links and won't be outdated as quickly.

WildCard999

Titan

I looked around on Newegg but didn't see anything better without going to $600, the one from Sam's is more then good enough for Minecraft and general use. As for the iGPU (HD 620 you'll want to get the newest one directly from Intel.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96551/Intel-HD-Graphics-620
As for the bloatware it's usually just extra crap HP puts on there systems that's not needed, I couldn't give you an exact list but most are pretty identifiable such as Evernote and HP Assistant Software.

Status
Not open for further replies.