Pre-built: will it work for my needs?

LeeOwnE

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
Thanks to my current PC finally hitting the end of its life I am in need of a new computer.

While building is a great idea, I unfortunately need to have something by the end of the day. This is majorly for school reasons and getting a few projects done. This is the main reason why I am asking for feedback on a pre-built system. It is available in my area and my price range.

System in question:
MSI aegis 216
https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/MSI-Aegis-216US-Signature-Edition-Gaming-Desktop/productID.5090752000

While I know it isn't a high end computer, I think it falls in line with everything I need to do, but as I lack experience I wanted to ask here.

What I need it to do:
Maya (3d Modeling)
ZBrush
Adobe Programs (Premier, After effects, photoshop, ect)
And later on other Animation programs.
I do plan on picking up a VR headset sooner than later
This along with Gaming of course.

I know it doesn't offer much in the way of upgrades down the road due to its size, but with minor tweaks as I can (Graphics card, RAM, ect) Would this do what I need it to do and survive for a few years?

Solution
It is still pretty high standard and other than adding maybe another 16gb of RAM, i dont think you need any other addition for running any of the above. Unless you are running them or gaming on 4K. Even the RAM is not required right away.
But i would still say, you can build a more powerful rig if you build on your own.
It is still pretty high standard and other than adding maybe another 16gb of RAM, i dont think you need any other addition for running any of the above. Unless you are running them or gaming on 4K. Even the RAM is not required right away.
But i would still say, you can build a more powerful rig if you build on your own.

Solution

LeeOwnE

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
Thanks for the responses.
I would love to build my own due to the pros outweighing the cons, unfortunately it's more a matter of time I have vs time I don't. Hence pre-built :/

Not worth it, build your own, you can get cheaper for better.
Trust me it's easy, all you need is a screw driver.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($318.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ Jet)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card ($699.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.79 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1544.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-17 14:46 EDT-0400

Jim90

Distinguished
No issues here, good CPU and GPU, plenty RAM. Should last a few years at least.
However, the build-your-own option by Ali above is a good example of what you would gain here (e.g. 1080Ti)...add in a friend who can build and you'll have this ready in less than 1 day.

kieranbunny

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017

try and find a compatible ryzen system build. The i7700 is better for gaming(atm, ryzen isn't that far behind) where it REALLY shines is multi-threaded programs..since you are looking a 3d modeling and animation programs;methinks it would be a little more "future-proof"..and work better for your needs.Since you've said time is of the essence a pre-built is the way to go..but look at some ryzen systems..might serve you better in the "long-run" ==:)*D