Specs:

• Ryzen 7 2700X
  • ASROCK B-450M Pro-4
  • XFX RX 580
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 240 GB SSD
  • 1TB HDD
  • 600W Thermaltake Smart Series PSU

On Friday when it arrived, I powered it up, no problems whatsoever. Got it set up, downloaded steam and epic games, and proceeded to buy and download some games, again, no issue. While those were downloading I browsed the internet, watched YouTube, again, no issues. However, I load up CS:GO, and sitting at the main menu I have no problems. A few minutes into actually playing and the whole system shuts off. After that no matter what I did it wouldn't turn on, the PSU just clicked once and nothing else happen. Tried different outlets and no success. A few hours later I got it to turn on so i figured it was a fluke, I don't know much about PCs. However the same thing happened again, and I cant get it to turn on. So I went out and bought a PSU tester, and sure enough unplugged from the motherboard it started up and ran. So I ruled out that it was the PSU, other than that, i have no clue what it could be. I have it RMA'd and was just looking to see if someone had any idea what could be wrong? Thanks.

Jun 3, 2019
Can I ask where you bought it? It sounds eerily similar to what happened to me, on an ASUS mobo, except mine powered down and then never came back on. Im sending it back today before I am out of the 30 day return period. IDC what the excuse is. any system that cant run flawlessly for the first 30 days isn't worth any dollar amount.
What games are you trying to run? at what levels?

Reactions: huntleco

huntleco

Prominent
Jun 3, 2019
Can I ask where you bought it? It sounds eerily similar to what happened to me, on an ASUS mobo, except mine powered down and then never came back on. Im sending it back today before I am out of the 30 day return period. IDC what the excuse is. any system that cant run flawlessly for the first 30 days isn't worth any dollar amount.
What games are you trying to run? at what levels?
Was purchased from Cyber Power. I think the same but if it is a faulty MBD then id rather them just replace it for free. And Honestly nothing graphically intense, Only game I tried was CSGO at High settings and was pulling 180 FPS.

Reactions: AlaKazaam

huntleco

Prominent
Jun 3, 2019
What PSU tester did you purchase?

The tester may present the voltages but what happens under actual load is different. That is where the "failure" occurs.

References FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/test-a-power-supply-using-a-power-supply-tester-2626160

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
I used basically the paper clip method, and it was able to run. Is there really that much of a load difference when just booting up? I dont know much about Computers os excuse my ignorance.

The only thing I can recommend for you to do, which is the cheapest thing is this.
Short the POWER switch connector together (plugged into motherboard, remove the power switch cable)
short them to pins together briefly and see if the computer comes on, it could be as simple as the switch is faulty

huntleco

Prominent
Jun 3, 2019
The only thing I can recommend for you to do, which is the cheapest thing is this.
Short the POWER switch connector together (plugged into motherboard, remove the power switch cable)
short them to pins together briefly and see if the computer comes on, it could be as simple as the switch is faulty
I did this and it came on, but when plugged into the motherboard i only get a click, and no signs of life.

huntleco

Prominent
Jun 3, 2019
You did it to the PSU, not the motherboard
On the bottom right of the motherboard is where all the connectors for your front panel go - switch/reset/led
remove that switch one and short them 2 pins out to see if it turns on or not
Imnot gonna lie, i'm not familiar with these switches as i dont know much about computers, so i cant visualize this in my head. When i get home I will look at those connectors and see if i can do what you're talking about. I know its probably very simple but im just not familiar.

this is NOT your motherboard - but they are all very similar

274106d1486603940t-asus-p8z77-m-motherboard-power-switch-connector-capture.png

You have 2 options
  1. just short them together briefly - don't need to hold it - so 1 second is more than enough
  2. if you have a RESET switch on your Case, put the RESET in to the POWER one, and now your RESET switch is your POWER switch - and press that to turn it on.

huntleco

Prominent
Jun 3, 2019
You have 2 options
  1. just short them together briefly - don't need to hold it - so 1 second is more than enough
  2. if you have a RESET switch on your Case, put the RESET in to the POWER one, and now your RESET switch is your POWER switch - and press that to turn it on.
Okay i will try one of these when i get home, probably the second option. So say this works and i put the reset into the power and it turns on, this means what? Also when i test by putting the reset into the power, do i plug the power into the reset or just leave it unplugged?

It means if it works - the switch is not working for the case
You can then inform the people you got it from, but they would need the computer to replace the switch
It wouldn't matter if you put the power in the switch - if the power button is broken
If it doesn't fix it, then that is not the problem

Reactions: huntleco

huntleco

Prominent
Jun 3, 2019
It means if it works - the switch is not working for the case
You can then inform the people you got it from, but they would need the computer to replace the switch
It wouldn't matter if you put the power in the switch - if the power button is broken
If it doesn't fix it, then that is not the problem
Okay thank you. If the power button didn't work, could it still say try and work because if it didn't work i dont think id be getting a click noise from the PSU. Then again i don't know much haha