Question Pre-Lit Christmas Tree Lighting Fix?

Nov 25, 2020
I have a Home Accents pre-lit Christmas tree. A bunch of the lights weren't working when I put it up this year. One strand had a half of a strand completely burned out (black inside the bulb). I replaced many of the lights, then got to a light that had a different base / collar than the others, and I couldn't get the light out to replace it. When trying to get it out with pliers, I broke the bulb. But when the pliers touched the 2 wires inside, the whole strand lit up, and the lights were twice as bright as the lights on the rest of the tree. Could this be some sort of resistor or transformer? Any idea how to replace or fix it?

Photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14currQiTP-k2d4g_dT4n2cYSJ_hIfYkj?usp=sharing

There's a photo of the white collar I can't remove (the one I broke, and another intact one). Then there's a photo of the green collar, typical one you can remove to replace the bulb.

Last edited:

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
That bulb with the white base is actually a fuse, which is why the lights worked when you shorted the wires.
Basically being a bulb in series it also acts as a resistor which is why the lights were twice as bright.
The manufactrers do not want you to replace this bulb and sometimes glue them in.

Nov 25, 2020
Hi
That bulb with the white base is actually a fuse, which is why the lights worked when you shorted the wires.
Basically being a bulb in series it also acts as a resistor which is why the lights were twice as bright.
The manufactrers do not want you to replace this bulb and sometimes glue them in.
So, any way to replace it? Or cut it out and splice it? Or would I have to put some sort of resistor or something in its place? I really don't want to have to cut out the light strings and have to string the tree myself, or buy a new tree.

makkem

Distinguished
I don't know where you live but Amazon UK sells the fuse bulbs in a holder so you would need to cut the old bulb and holder out of the cable and wire the new one in its place.