News Pre-NDA Zotac RTX 3060 Torndown By Crypto-YouTuber

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nerf? As if Nvidia would ever stop catering to the highest bidder like some PSU brands do aswell. It is great to sell GPUs from 2 generations ago for absurd profit margins
Nvidia doesn't see any of that money though? They got their money from the partners before shipping the dies to 'em.
The pricing madness you see now? Nvidia doesn't get that. They're more than happy to sell more dies though.
You should be angrier at the AIB/AICs, resellers, etc.

A 1200USD RTX 3080? Nvidia doesn't get any extra profit from that. That profit went to the AIB or the reseller who'd already bought it cheaper.

Besides, it would be in Nvidia's best interests to avoid what happened with Turing. The sales of those cards were not very good, which were caused by:
-Price to performance Vs Pascal and competing Polaris cards was weak; many owners of 10 series and RX 500 cards held on to their still capable cards.
-Mining gold rush crash. Many Pascal and Polaris cards were up for sale in the 2nd hand market for stupidly low prices. That got way more attention from folks on older hardware than whatever Turing was working with.

You know what's going to happen should the mining gold rush crash again(it's inevitable) and the next gen of cards happens to be on its way in?
They will not sell as many new dies during the production run, and as a company, that is not favorable.
Me? I will never touch the 2nd hand market, but I understand that I'm an odd man out.
Many will buy 2nd hand if the price is right, and if there's a sudden surge of RTX 30 cards available for cheap, PEOPLE GON' BUY DAT, to hell with RTX 40 or whatever the heck it'll be called.

A company should want to sell as many new products as it can = more profits. Gpu mining harms this goal.
I don't believe Nvidia likes the gpu miners either(too volatile) because of this, but I'm not sure there's really anything they can do about it.

ASIC mining should become more affordable, and more - if not all - of the blockchains need to move from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake, but thats like striking at a hornets nest, because that would likely cause the value of the already ASIC driven chains to fall, and certain folks sure as hell wouldn't like that.

The game of balance is darn difficult; there's no making everyone happy regardless of what happens... I believe it's best to go with the method that satisfies the majority.
Now, which one is that?

Last edited:
Reactions: panathas

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Nvidia doesn't see any of that money though? They got their money from the partners before shipping the dies to 'em.
The pricing madness you see now? Nvidia doesn't get that. They're more than happy to sell more dies though.

So nvidia does not renegociate?

Hold on then.
Nvidia is not making bank.
Nvidia is also not introducing ways to protect consumers(when mining dies again or is laws are passed so that virtual currency has literally no value the only consumers left will be gamers and designers of all trades).

Is Nvidia the Capcom of GPUs?

I dropped a great deal for a 3090 because I though the market would recover soon and didn't feel like buying just to resell, should have gone the easy route.
The more they mine the faster they will kill the mining crap.

If only AMD had a proper DLSS solution I could at least consider going for them, really tired of having vram limiting the visuals.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
And they were right. Hope you got lucky. I was able to land a 3090 finally. After reward points, was barely over $1000 shipped.
F - Adding to Cart button refused to work. Well, that's new...
If I did not make the mistake of removing it from my cart ~4 weeks ago when it got stuck there, I'd have had one by now...
I'm still in the EVGA queue, so there's that... I'm not that desperate for a 3080, since these are the only 2 things I'm doing.

@blacknemesist
1)Renegotiate? Would that not increase the MSRP and cause the AIBs to increase the prices of their models more?
Prices would be even dumber than they are now.

2)Oh NO, Nvidia's making bank alright: silicon, board design, as well as licensing fees. AIBs are still getting the short stick, though.
Did you notice none of the AIBs have a Reference design this time around?
That FE board must've been hella expensive for all of them to be like, "Yeah, we're gonna roll with the usual."

3)No idea what Capcom of Gpus means...

4)I'm looking forward to see how many 3090 gamers end up replacing it before they really make use of 24GBs of Vram.
Nvidia can say what they want, but that thing is a Titan card, though and though.
I know it's a halo card, but this is still one of the worst ones in history.

5)Mining isn't going to die anytime soon, especially if people with money and resources stand behind it.
Some kind of regulation is the next best thing - it can't/shouldn't be allowed to run rampant.

6)DLSS, while a great feature, is too limited in compatibility in its current state. Nvidia needs to do more to expand it.
I'm not big on AAA titles at all, so that and RT are darn near worthless to me.

7)Vram has never really been a problem, it only looks that way because people have artificially made it look that way.
Developers do need to optimize their programs better, but they have it rough too, like:
-all too often, they don't have enough time to polish their games.
-the publishers wanting to recycle the same old crap(cheaper for them to do so), all while milking people of more money through MTX, of which only the upper ceiling sees.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
If I did not make the mistake of removing it from my cart ~4 weeks ago when it got stuck there, I'd have had one by now...
I'm still in the EVGA queue, so there's that... I'm not that desperate for a 3080, since these are the only 2 things I'm doing.

Best Buy has some anti-both thing where you have to add the product to your cart twice. The first time you click add to cart, it goes grey. Then you have to sit there and wait until it goes yellow and says add to cart again allowing you to click the button again and go through the purchase process

@blacknemesist
4)I'm looking forward to see how many 3090 gamers end up replacing it before they really make use of 24GBs of Vram.
Nvidia can say what they want, but that thing is a Titan card, though and though.
All of them. Games aren't going to need 24GB for years. In order to maximize memory bandwidth, Nvidia has to use multiples of 12 chips. Since 2GB GDDR6X chips weren't available yet, the choice was 12 one GB chips, are 24 one GB chips. I'm sure Nvidia had some idea AMD was going to offer more than 12GB on their 6000 GPU's, so trying to justify $1500 for a 12GB halo card would have been difficult from a marketing standpoint.

Reactions: Phaaze88

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012

@blacknemesist
1)Renegotiate? Would that not increase the MSRP and cause the AIBs to increase the prices of their models more?
Prices would be even dumber than they are now.

2)Oh NO, Nvidia's making bank alright: silicon, board design, as well as licensing fees. AIBs are still getting the short stick, though.
Did you notice none of the AIBs have a Reference design this time around?
That FE board must've been hella expensive for all of them to be like, "Yeah, we're gonna roll with the usual."

3)No idea what Capcom of Gpus means...

5)Mining isn't going to die anytime soon, especially if people with money and resources stand behind it.
Some kind of regulation is the next best thing - it can't/shouldn't be allowed to run rampant.

6)DLSS, while a great feature, is too limited in compatibility in its current state. Nvidia needs to do more to expand it.
I'm not big on AAA titles at all, so that and RT are darn near worthless to me.

7)Vram has never really been a problem, it only looks that way because people have artificially made it look that way.
Developers do need to optimize their programs better, but they have it rough too, like:
-all too often, they don't have enough time to polish their games.
-the publishers wanting to recycle the same old crap(cheaper for them to do so), all while milking people of more money through MTX, of which only the upper ceiling sees.

1. I was talking as in the best interests of nvidia. If AIB are taking a gigantic cut then nvidia would just take part of it so both would profit the same. As a consumer I don't want this to happen, it is worst case scenario.
  2. No sure what you mean. For me it seems AIB just took the 2xxx series design and slapped it on the 3xxx as much as possible. The FE design is quite pretty this time around.
  3. Capcom has an habit of not making easy money out of easy things the community wants, literally passing on a fortune time and time again
  4. The 3090 is the better choice considering the price. Not so long ago I could have gotten an MSI Suprim X 3090 for 1744 euros while the 3080 were going for 1300 euros plus. The extra Vram is a nice to have, my 2080 is always capped at full usage so much that I have to drop textures down and yet still sit pretty at over 100fps. I would rather trade those 40 fps above 60 for better quality on many games that do not need high fps.
  5. Mining is becoming more and more expensive to mine due to the value of eth and bc dropping so it is already starting, hopefully the expenses keep pillling up till is no longer profitable. If they want to mine fine but that is a complete new market and gpus design for gaming/3D works should not be in their hands. nvidia will launch 4 mining specific gpus the best going for about the same rate of mining as a 3080 but I didn't see any info on price. that will aliviate the market abit.
  6. DLSS is part of the directx12 and is being implemented in many games due to how easy it is but make work apparently. Many people care about DLSS mostly because it is a way to make the lifespan longer and play on settings you would never be able to achieve at a very small costs in visuals.
  7. I completely agree on this. MTX have soiled the reputation of the companies who abuse them and even harmless MTX are now frown upon. Also poor console to PC ports.

Here's hoping for better days and bitter karma for scalpers.