Pre-Order Microsoft's Sharks Cove Developer Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
If this is Raspberry Pi alternative, then the price is quite steep... about 10 times...
I don't think it's meant to compete with RPi in the consumer and hobbyist spaces. It seems to be a (relatively) cheap x86 board that can run Windows OSes and has plenty of IO for custom development projects for teams and companies that don't have to funding to have prototype hardware built for them. There are cheaper options for hobbyist x86 boards but having Microsoft design and build it specifically for the needs of developers is likely what drives the price up.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

VIA already have the native x86 pico-itx board out for age, and if mini-itx size suit the requirement, AMD C-70 APU onboard was still the cheapest and best native x86 solution u can get at this moment.

sb1370

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2013
The specs are really great for the price.
pay $250 and get a crappy atom ? thanks but no thanks, i better buy the Nvidia Jetson TK1 for just $192 !
Intel Atom has improved a lot since Bay Trail series.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
The real Raspberry Pi competitor with Bay Trail silicon is the MinnowBoard v2 (http://minnowboard.org). Its $99 which is three times a the cost of a Pi but 1/3 the cost of Sharks Cove. It will also blow the computing power of the Pi so far out of the water it isn't even in the same ball park. Its a great Pi alternative if you need Intel level computing power.

ozicom

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
I hope it can stack daughterboards so we can add more ability to this board. Also it's better have a Sata or mSata connector cause SD card is really bad choice for this price. By the way it'll be better have a LVDS port or edp port than a HDMI interface. I'll follow this product, i think chinese fakes will be produced soon at 1/5 price :)

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Nvidia you should just scrap the atom name it has a bad rep it is ruining your sales.
Well, other than it being Intel that makes and markets the Atom, not Nvidia, you are right. They really should come up with a new name. Even as someone who knows the new models are decent, the name conjures up horrible images of crap performance.

FrodoSwaggins

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
I read that as "Shekel Cove".
Not too far from the truth for that price... Yeah sure it might come with Win8.1, but you can get that for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.