Pre-Order SDK for Next-Gen Kinect for Windows at $399

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
So, it's a $100 upgrade to the console, but cost as much as the console itself to add to a PC... why does that sound exactly like M$ to me...

asukafan2001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Well with the console version just like when you buy a cellphone its partially subsidized as your locking yourself into buying games, perpherials and movies, etc within its ecosystem so they get a return on there investment.

When you are just buying the kinect by itself there is no other return on investment for microsoft thus they have to actually charge what its worth.

asukafan2001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Well with the console version just like when you buy a cellphone its partially subsidized as your locking yourself into buying games, perpherials and movies, etc within its ecosystem so they get a return on there investment.

When you are just buying the kinect by itself there is no other return on investment for microsoft thus they have to actually charge what its worth.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

This is not the consumer version of XBox One Kinect for PC. This is for developers who want to get a head start creating applications and content for the retail version which will come to market in 2014. This really isn't a bad price considering its target market. The developer kit for Google Glass is $1500.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I love the reading comprehension of most of the readers here. This is NOT kinect for sale without the xbox. This is a devlopment kit, so devs can get started on making games/programs that utilize kinect. Buying an xbox for 100 more with the kinect does NOT mean you have developer tools to make programs for it.

purrcatian

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
There is a reason this costs so much. If you read carefully, the $400 includes TWO Kinects (one now and another one when they release it) and lots of development support.

csf60

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Why do they charge you for developing for their console? This is wrong, they should be thanking you because without games that use kinect Xbox 1 is dead.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Read the title at the very least before saying stupid shit, for the love of God.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
It is so entertaining how some people flaunt their ignorance and are smug about it. They do not even know what an SDK is.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
This site used to have smart people on it, even after several entries mercilessly taunting people for being stupid, even more stupid comments appear. Please apply here for the Darwin Award.

csf60

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Pre-Order SDK for Next-Gen Kinect for Windows at $399
next step please?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009

Because just like every other platform where devs use an SDK to create their own Apps, such as for iOS or for Android, the devs get to post those Apps in a marketplace with a captive audience and can make money on every App sold. That $399 investment can turn into thousands or even millions of $$$. I really wish it hadn't come to explaining it for real and hoped that derision and sarcasm would hammer the point home but clearly we underestimated your naivety. Whilst I am in a charitable mood would you like me to explain how to read the time or cut up your dinner for you?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

If it's anything like the current gen, it probably won't work as well.

I know one of the main differences is the default throw distance on the cameras, it's shorter for the desktop version. There are 3rd party adapters you can buy to sort of make the Xbox 360 version usable at typical desktop distances, but it still doesn't work as well from what I've seen. The console version also doesn't seem to play as well with the SDK for some reason. When you plug in the PC version, it just works. When you plug in the console version you have to jump through some hoops before everything's recognized.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

... I think what Soda-88 was getting at is that the SDK is meant for Windows development, not Xbox One. You seemed to suggest the latter in your previous comment.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

lol, thank you. I wanted to say something like this so bad, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

csf60

Honorable
May 11, 2012

I was trying to say this seems overpriced for an SDK considering they need software to be able to sell kinects, whether it's for windows or XBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.