[SOLVED] Pre-POST Error and GPU Not Receiving Power

Jan 4, 2020
Hey everyone,

Thanks for being willing to lend a hand on this helpful website. I've just finished my third build ever, and the second done completely by myself. My last build was in 2012, so I'm definitely rusty.

My problem is this: at first power on, no image is sent to the display, no beeps (no POST?), and the GPU doesn't seem to be receiving power.

Things I've noted: the GPU has an LED that is constantly on - this suggests no power to the GPU per the manufacturer, the MOBO speaker is installed so I should hear beeps if they would occur, I cannot power down the computer by pressing briefly nor by holding down the power button - it will only power down by switching off the PSU.

Things that seem to be working: upon switching on the PSU, the two RAM sticks' RGB strips illuminate; the CPU fan is spinning, the case fans are spinning, the fan on the PCH heatsink is spinning (something that came with the MOBO), the power indicator light around the computer's power button comes on.

Things I cannot confirm: the function of the PCI-Express power cable - I have re-used my PSU from my previous computer (which worked as recently as 3 days ago) but this an unused 8-pin OEM cable (the previous GPU used a 6-pin cable); if the hard drive is working (I have no reason to suspect it is faulty, I just don't know how to check); the activity indicator on the case is not illuminating.

Things that I have tried: I re-seated the GPU, I removed and re-inserted the 20+4-pin connector to power the MOBO and the 8-pin connector to power the GPU.

My thoughts: I figure the easiest place to start is a new PCI-Express power cable, thinking maybe the GPU is bad if that fix doesn't work. My PSU was recently working, but I know the one I have is old and could be the issue.

Hardware:
Thermaltake View 31 Mid-Tower Case
GIGABYTE x570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz AM4 Socket CPU
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 590 Gaming 8GB GPU
Team T-FORCE 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 DDR4 RAM
Samsung 250 GB SSD
OCZ ModXStream 600W PSU OCZ600MXSP

Thank you for your help, and let me know if I can provide additional information.

Solution
You are using a 6+2pin, forming 8pin for the GPU, and not the CPU/EPS connector, correct?

That is a dated PSU.... What hardware were you running on it previously? PSUs will degrade with time, and that PSU could only do a combined 42A on the 12V rail when new.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You are using a 6+2pin, forming 8pin for the GPU, and not the CPU/EPS connector, correct?

That is a dated PSU.... What hardware were you running on it previously? PSUs will degrade with time, and that PSU could only do a combined 42A on the 12V rail when new.

Solution
Jan 4, 2020
Thanks for the response. Correct on the 6+2 pin. Luckily, the PSU cables for the GPU are a different color so that I cannot confuse them. It wasn't anything too high-powered before. I can't remember which AMD I had, and it was a 550 Fermi (Ferti?) GPU. Plus, it was from 2012, so pretty old.

Jan 4, 2020
Good evening, everyone. An update:

I purchased a new power supply - the Corsair CX-M 650W Bronze Modular power supply. I switched over to the cables that came with the new power supply.

I'm still in the same boat; the symptoms are the same as in my original post. Everything on the motherboard seems to be functioning, except for the graphics card. The small LED on the graphics card stays illuminated, suggesting that it is not receiving power. The computer still does not POST and I don't hear anything from the motherboard speaker.

Is it possible that I have a faulty graphics card? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks again for your help.