OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
NAS
on an
ASUS router
ASSUMPTION 1: router is set up and running well and “Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk” is in its default state
ASSUMPTION 2: router is at ip address 192.168.1.195 (often it is at 192.168.1.1)
ASSUMPTION 3: Drive is to be mounted is labeled MyNASdrive
ASSUMPTION 4: Drive has a directory (folder) on its root named projects (case sensitive)
Set up the router
1. Connect the USB drive to the router
2. Open up the router web page and log in.
3. Click on USB application
4. Click on [Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk]
5. Add anew user by clicking the (+) just below the [Apply]
6. Enter account name and password
1. Account: BStest
2. password: Mypass
7. Set permissions
1. Click on BStest
2. Click on the little [+] to expand the permissions tree
3. Click on the little [+] next to MyNASdrive to further expand the permissions tree
4. Click the radio button in the R/W column for projects
5. Click on [Save Permission]
8. Optional
1. Change the Device Name
9. Click on [Apply]
This will cause your router to to reboot. You will temporarily lose your network connection
Connecting to your computer
Windows
1. Open File Explorer
2. Click on Network
3. In the address bar,
type in the up address of the router preceded by \\
(you may have to “turn on discovery”)
4. Click on the the folder that you’re going to share, eg. projects
5. Enter your user name BStest and password Mypass
6. Optional
1. Instead of opening folder, right click on it and map the drive to a drive letter.
linux
1. As your user (not as root) create a folder:
mkdir /home/appian3344/NASbstest
2. As root, edit the file /etc/fstab (eg. sudo geany /etc/fstab) and at the end of the file, append:
//192.168.1.195/projects /home/appian3344/NASbstest cifs username=BStest,password=MYpass,vers=1.0,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,auto,rw,exec,x-systemd.automount 0 0
Note! All on one line
3. Again as root, mount the drive: mount -a
Note that because the information is in /etc/fstab, the share will be mounted on every boot
Allow guest login
This is not recommended because it will leave your drive open to anyone on your network.
Modify the router set up
1. Unmount the share from your computer
linux: umount /home/appian3344/NASbstest
windows: (if you mapped network drive) right click on mapped drive then click on disconnect).
2. On your router, go back to [Network Place (Samba) Share / Cloud Disk]
3. Allow guest login by:
1. clicking [off] changing it to [on]
2. click on [OK] of the warning (applying settings will come up
3. (I’m not sure if this is necessary) click on [Apply] (router will reboot)
Windows
This time, when you enter the ip address of the router into file explorer, you will only see one share, MyNASdrive. You can map this or not, but you have access to the entire drive!
Linux
This time, use the following line in /etc/fstab to mount the share:
//192.168.1.195/MyNASdrive /home/appian3344/NASbstest cifs guest,vers=1.0,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,auto,rw,exec,x-systemd.automount 0 0
Note! The disk label is being used!

Solution
I stuck a drive in an external drive case and plugged it into my router. We all had access till the drive died years later. It was a bit slow (hard drive over slow wifi) but useable. The drive is with others awaiting pcb transplants.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I stuck a drive in an external drive case and plugged it into my router. We all had access till the drive died years later. It was a bit slow (hard drive over slow wifi) but useable. The drive is with others awaiting pcb transplants.

Solution