Question Prebuilt Freezes after 1050 is installed

Apr 13, 2019
Hi, so I have an old prebuilt that has a PCIe slot so I am trying to upgrade an old PC while I wait for my ryzen 5 and ram to come in for my new build, however as soon as I install my 1050 the computer freezes at the HP logo followed by some beeps. Anyone know any work arounds? It's an HP Pavilion with a 2130 cpu. Thanks =D

Does your HP have latest BIOS installed? Firmware updates can fix issues relating to hardware compatibility. OEMs such as HP, Dell, ect. have a long history of issues when upgrading RAM and GPUs that can cause issues. Have you tried decoding the beeps themselves?

Apr 13, 2019
Does your HP have latest BIOS installed? Firmware updates can fix issues relating to hardware compatibility. OEMs such as HP, Dell, ect. have a long history of issues when upgrading RAM and GPUs that can cause issues. Have you tried decoding the beeps themselves?
As far as I'm aware yes, this is from 2011 and I haven't needed to update this for A very long time and for the beeps i hear 3 beeps

Looks to be compatibility with your board.

Use the BIOS settings to enable or disable Secure Boot on an HP desktop computer.
  1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Press the power button to turn on the computer, and then immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until the Computer Setup Utility opens.
  3. Use the arrow keys to select the Security menu, select Secure Boot Configuration, and then press Enter.

4. Press F10 on the Secure Boot Configuration message to continue.

5. Change the Secure Boot setting.
    • To enable Secure boot, use the arrow keys to select Disable next to Legacy Support, and then select Enable next to Secure Boot.
    • To disable Secure boot, use the arrow keys to select Disable next to Secure Boot, and then select Enable next to Legacy Support.
  6. Press F10 to accept the changes.
  7. Press F10 again, and then press Enter twice to restart the computer.

8. If you disabled Secure Boot, type the four-digit code displayed in the Operating System Boot Mode Change message, and then press Enter to confirm the change.
    NOTE:
    Make sure you type the code correctly. There is no text field to see what you are typing. This is expected behavior.

Your BIOS on latest version? It's likely the GPU only supports UEFI boot instead of legacy vBIOS. My old 970 supported both. It's unlikely HP made an update to be compatible with 1050 and only used the old traditional BIOS. UEFI has long since replaced what was traditionally called the BIOS for settings on startup. Secure Boot wasn't an option back in those days of legacy BIOS if I remember correctly.

Yes, CSM is the option to enable booting to the older devices from pre-UEFI boot days. But, I'm thinking that the 1050 doesn't have a "dual mode" so to speak. I remember my EVGA GTX 970s had both Legacy and UEFI vBIOS from the factory, so you could either run CSM for legacy support(was running with X99 setup at the time)or disable CSM for full UEFI boot support. Just a look at folks on HP forums with similar system in that era are having the same issue. My guess is that the 1050, or possible the model the OP has, only supports UEFI boot and the system is hanging trying to properly boot. Had a look at HP download section for the model in question, the only BIOS update listing is from February 2012.

TRENDING THREADS