[SOLVED] Prebuilt Fresh install question

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Ok I have an HP prebuilt and I ordered and M.2 SSD that is compatible with my motherboard. I want to do a fresh installation of Windows 10 on the New SSD. I don't want to clone. My boot drive right now is a HDD and that is the drive Windows is installed on. I noticed that this HDD is causing my games to stutter and have random fps drops since its my only internal drive and its the drive windows is installed on. I have all my games on an external SSD and the games still use the Drive Windows on aka the Slow HDD. That is the big reason I want to do a fresh install of windows 10 on the new SSD. Also I want my windows to be way faster and I can use my CPU and GPU at it's full advantage without any stuttering issue and load apps fast and boot fast. Is it possible for me to do a fresh install of windows 10 on a HP prebuilt? If so can you tell me how?

Solution
I usually have task manager open and when the stuttering happen I see the HDD spiking and I get confused because the Games are on the portable SSD, someone told me it does that because windows is on a slow HDD that can happen and the person explained it also.

The HDD is only consuming 80gb

The SSD I am getting is a 1tb M.2 SSD and I already checked to see if its compatible with the HP Erica 8643 Motherboard.
If there is only 80GB consumed on the current drive, there isn't a lot more than Windows, is there?

But, you can try the clone thing if you wish.
It will NOT fix any software problems that may exist.

Which specific make/model of M.2 SSD?

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone...

USAFRet

Titan
Is it possible for me to do a fresh install of windows 10 on a HP prebuilt? If so can you tell me how?
Yep.
Just like any other system.

Prepare, and then do it.
Find all the relevant drivers from HP.
Save all your personal files elsewhere.
Document all your username/passwords.

Physically disconnect the HDD.

Then...

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Yep.

Prepare, and then do it.

Then...
The drivers are usually on the HP support assistant App and its on the Microsoft store. Can I download the App from the microsoft store and dwonload the drivers?

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Yep.

Prepare, and then do it.

Then...
What drivers would I need?

USAFRet

Titan
The drivers are usually on the HP support assistant App and its on the Microsoft store. Can I download the App from the microsoft store and dwonload the drivers?
You can if you want.
I wouldn't.
I would rather find exactly and only the ones needed, download those individually, save to a flash drive.

Which ones? Depends what hardware you have.

What extra junk might that app install?

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
You can if you want.
I wouldn't.
I would rather find exactly and only the ones needed, download those individually, save to a flash drive.

Which ones? Depends what hardware you have.

What extra junk might that app install?
I resetted this pc in the pass and the only thing it did was update the bios drivers

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
How much space is consumed on your current HDD?
What size/make/model is the new SSD?
Is the "stuttering" due ONLY to being an HDD, or are there potentially software issues as well?
I usually have task manager open and when the stuttering happen I see the HDD spiking and I get confused because the Games are on the portable SSD, someone told me it does that because windows is on a slow HDD that can happen and the person explained it also.

The SSD I am getting is a 1tb M.2 SSD and I already checked to see if its compatible with the HP Erica 8643 Motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan

If there is only 80GB consumed on the current drive, there isn't a lot more than Windows, is there?

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Power up

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

It is a crucial P2 1tb SSD, I checked on the website if its compatible with my prebuilt. I trust crucial because I also installed my own ram from them.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

Power off
Power up

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done

After the clone is done do I have to disconnect the HDD so the SSD can boot and windows doesn't get confused?