[SOLVED] Prebuilt gaming PC on Ebay

Sep 10, 2020
Hello,

Apologies for the stupid question here. I want to get back into PC gaming (mainly Total War: Rome II)

I have seen a couple of prebuilt PC desktops that seem too cheap to be true on sale on Ebay = Example

My question is, is the price too cheap for a decent desktop, what is the catch and finally is it worth getting a gaming desktop or getting a normal one?

Thanks

Solution
A gaming desktop really just means it has a good GPU. Most of it's just marketing; a PC that's good at gaming will be good at pretty much anything.

The catch on the linked PC is that the PC is ancient and pretty lousy at gaming. An i5-2400 is a low-midrange CPU that will be ten years old in a few months. A GT 710 isn't remotely a gaming GPU; a GT 710 is basically so you can actually see Windows on a PC with a CPU that doesn't have integrated graphic.

In other words, this is a decade-old office PC. It will not be a pleasant experience playing Total War Rome II on it, even with the game being from 2013.

I wouldn't buy from this seller under any circumstances given the number of blatant lies in their ad.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A gaming desktop really just means it has a good GPU. Most of it's just marketing; a PC that's good at gaming will be good at pretty much anything.

The catch on the linked PC is that the PC is ancient and pretty lousy at gaming. An i5-2400 is a low-midrange CPU that will be ten years old in a few months. A GT 710 isn't remotely a gaming GPU; a GT 710 is basically so you can actually see Windows on a PC with a CPU that doesn't have integrated graphic.

In other words, this is a decade-old office PC. It will not be a pleasant experience playing Total War Rome II on it, even with the game being from 2013.

I wouldn't buy from this seller under any circumstances given the number of blatant lies in their ad.

Solution
One of the funny things about that link is "The PCs are made USING BRAND NEW COMPONENTS EXCLUDING THE MOTHERBOARD, RAM, AND CPU " so the main parts of the computer, motherboard, RAM and CPU are used parts. It's like saying "well you have a new body except the heart, lungs and brain".

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
What you'll probably end up getting is an old computer with more RAM and a newer video card installed that is being called a "gaming machine", but really isn't. Putting a GTX 1650 or 1660 and 16 or 32gb of RAM into an old Dell or HP with a Core i7-3770 or 4770, does not make it a gaming machine by any reasonable person's definition. Those machines are built for suckers who don't know any better. Don't be a sucker.