[SOLVED] Prebuilt or not?

Maxwell69

Reputable
Jan 28, 2020
My mom needs a new computer and at first i wanted to build her one but in the end i'm asking myself if i'd better take a prebuilt since the use she will have of it will be limited.
The build i made is :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 3200G
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-B450I AORUS PRO WIFI
Ram : 16gb 3200MHz
An 128gb SSD, a hardrive,the psu, a monitor and a case
With all that i come around a price of 670 euros and even if she said me if it really worth it she would'nt mind put money in it she's wondering if something cheaper is possible because she will only use it for base stuff.

Solution
she doesnt need to carry it so a desktop is more interesting than a laptop

Get a used system with about a 4th generation i5, put in a new SSD with a clean Windows setup in it. Should cost about $200 for the computer. Can also get some used monitors pretty cheap I'm sure.

4745454b

Titan
Euros. I'm sorry, I'm familar with USA pricing and what not. How much does a basic PC cost where you are? I know in the USA you can get super basic PCs for ~400ish. There wouldn't be an SSD or anything fancy like a wifi card though. I agree however that it's the way to go for a super basic low end system. I personally can't build anything if you need it to cost $200-500. I simply can't get the parts that cheap. When you need to go cheap a prebuilt is often the way to go.

Maxwell69

Reputable
Jan 28, 2020
Euros. I'm sorry, I'm familar with USA pricing and what not. How much does a basic PC cost where you are? I know in the USA you can get super basic PCs for ~400ish. There wouldn't be an SSD or anything fancy like a wifi card though. I agree however that it's the way to go for a super basic low end system. I personally can't build anything if you need it to cost $200-500. I simply can't get the parts that cheap. When you need to go cheap a prebuilt is often the way to go.
Well for around 300 euros (without monitor) you get like an I3, 4gb of ram and a small ssd or no ssd and just a hdd gonna be slow af, it's not i want to go cheap by all cost if i end up with something dead in 2 years.

Maxwell69

Reputable
Jan 28, 2020
128 GB SSDs are rather smallish these days...; does not take many apps and a few WIndows updates and they are short of space quite quickly...)

(Maybe you can find a 2400G/3400G instead, which is clocked a tad higher, and, has SMT/8 threads...?)
Well the thing i need here is advices about a good prebuilt, the build i made is already pricy enoigh i'm not gonna add more storage and a different CPU way more expensive.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with hang.
Here in the states there are a ton of refurbished office machines by the like of Dell and HP. Typically can currently find ~4th gen Core CPU with 8GB of RAM, SFF for $100. If you look close you can find them with W10 for that (here).
My advice after that would be to slap in an SSD and go. Should work really well for you on the cheap.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My mom needs a new computer and at first i wanted to build her one but in the end i'm asking myself if i'd better take a prebuilt since the use she will have of it will be limited.
The build i made is :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 3200G
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-B450I AORUS PRO WIFI
Ram : 16gb 3200MHz
An 128gb SSD, a hardrive,the psu, a monitor and a case
With all that i come around a price of 670 euros and even if she said me if it really worth it she would'nt mind put money in it she's wondering if something cheaper is possible because she will only use it for base stuff.

For basic use, the amount of RAM, and even the CPU, is more than needed. As a reference point, my dad has a Haswell i3 system with 4GB of RAM, and a 1 TB hard drive.

When I replaced his hard drive, I realized that he was only using 55GB total. That's Windows, and applications, and his personal files.

If you open the spoiler link in my sig - the Micro Machine was just under USD$300 at the time I put it together. Today, you could get the Athlon 3000G, and a larger SSD, for about what I paid for the 128GB SSD and the Althon 200GE.

Please note that the AsRock A300W uses laptop RAM. It does come with WiFi, though (the A300 has no WiFi, the A300W has WiFi). Plus, it's very small, and sips very little electricity.

BUT - the idea of a used/refurbished machine is also an excellent suggestion.