Question Prebuilt PC arrived but I cannot get it to power on ?

Toolbar

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
I ordered a Prebuilt PC from Germany in Ireland on the 2nd of December (due to Brexit I didn't want to order from UK in case I was hit for duty taxes).
It eventually arrived today, but I cannot get it to power on. I have tried three different power cables, I have switched the power on at the back and at the plug socket. I have checked connections on the motherboard, and pressed the correct power button.

It was this PC that I ordered, I changed the:
Motherboard to B450 Tomahawk Max
SSD to 480GB
PSU to Standard Netzteil: 650 Watt Silent
GPU to GeForce GTX 1660 6GB
CPU to Ryzen 5 3500x

When I look it up on a search engine I get loads of results for people with issues unable to power on the B450 Tomahawk, I have read a few forum replies that say short something, but, as I have only received it, I am wary of doing anything that may void the warranty.
I have also read that there is a tool to test the PSU, but I don't know what that is, or how to use it.

Some results say to flash the BIOS to the latest, but I do not know how to do that when I am not getting any power at all into the unit (no lights, fans or anything).
Is there anything I can attempt (with instructions if possible) to try without voiding the warranty? I am hoping to be able to fix it, as it was a christmas present for somebody, although arriving 3 weeks late for christmas, it would be worse than disappointing to have to try and send it back to Germany for another possible 2 months with current shipping delays and getting it repaired etc..

Hi there,

Well, it's very possible the PSU is the problem. It's a piece of junk. I wouldn't put it in a PC, because the only review I can find, told me that the PSU gave up after 18 months, with a loud bang!!

Two options:

1. Get a new (Decent) PSU, because the one in the system is really bad.
  2. Return the entire PC and get them to replace the PSU.

Reactions: Toolbar
I'd suspect power button not to be connected properly to motherboard.

Can you show photo of printed label on PSU?

PSU make/model actually is not specified here.
So - can't really tell anything about it being junk or not.

Netzteil: 650 Watt Silent

Super Silent ATX Netzteil 650 Watt: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - Only 1 review at bottom!

Also, just looking at the unit, we can take that's it's junk. It probably doesn't even have 650w actual max power. AKA - Junk

Toolbar

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I will take a photo now and post it.
I have been reading about a paperclip test on the PSU, but not sure how to do it, all the wires are black so I can't tell which would be green etc..
Also, is the paperclip test safe?

I will contact them, and see what they say about the PSU?

I only guessed the Motherboard because there are so many threads mentioning the same problem for the board, when I search. I have another brand new PSU that I bought just before christmas for another computer that turned out it wasn't the issue.

Toolbar

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Here are the pictures of it
IMG-20210114-164816.jpg

PC -
https://i.postimg.cc/BZzXcygK/IMG-20210114-164848.jpg

https://postimg.cc/gallery/NmmG3L1

Toolbar

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
I have emailed them, no reply yet.
I was hoping to find any known issues or possibly an alternative to shipping it back.
If flashing BIOS was possible without power 😕 Or how to jump start the board, or test the PSU etc.
As I was thinking that here would give better advice (for example if any of the above are or aren't advisable).

When I tried to call them I get an German answering machine (I think they are currently under lockdown).

This being a brand new prebuilt thing, what does the manufacturer say when you called them?