Question Prebuilt pc gpu not performing like before

Mar 30, 2022
Mobo : Asus Prime B550 plus Ac-Hes

Gpu: Rx 6600xt
Cpu: Ryzen 7 3700x
Memory: one channel has XPG 3000mhz and other channel has Corsair vengeance 3200mhz
Psu: Highpower 80+ Gold 600 W
500 nvme.2 SSD

Hi, I have a gaming prebuilt pc that I bought from Best Buy and I’ve had it since February and it’s been working well enough until recently.

I noticed a weird issue when I installed Oculus app on my pc where whenever I scrolled a page I would hear a weird noise and I think it was coming from the gpu.
Another day I noticed that one of my case fans weren’t spinning and that the whole system would ramp up unexpectedly sometimes.

My gpu was blocking what kind of mobo I had and I really wanted to research the manual so that I could figure where fans go etc. (no the prebuilt did not list the specs of the mobo just the cpu and gpu)

I remove the gpu and then I check the fan connections and everything seems to be plugged into the psu properly.

I also add 16gbs of more ram but they are a different model than the one in the mobo already ( old one is xpg 3000mhz and new one is Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz) I put into the correct Dimm slots and I then reseat the gpu.

I close up the case and my computer posts.
However the problem is my gpu seems to be running way worse now than it did before.
On Cod Modern Warfare my frames used to hover around 160-180. Now they hover around 100-144.
I thought maybe I needed to update my drivers so I did.
Then I did a benchmark on Cyberpunk and I knew something was wrong.
My ultra benchmark before used to be 60-80fps and now it was at 12fps.

I have yet to try DDU and do a clean install of the drivers but I have a feeling the hardware is the issue.
I also noticed sometimes that some of my gpu fans wouldn’t spin. More worryingly I remember smelling a burning smell today and I don’t know if it came from the gpu or psu.

I have no experience with computers really and I really regret messing with it.
Unfortunately that’s all I can say about my situation.

Hopefully, my computer is still salvageable.

Notes:
the DP cable is hooked up to the gpu.
I touched the case when I was handling the parts to stay grounded.
There didn’t seem to be much dust from what I could tell on the fans.
I did manually adjust fan curve in bios.
I did not mess with RAM settings in bios.

Mar 30, 2022
Well seeing as how no one else will actually come across this post here’s some more details for myself to keep track off.

Using Msi afterburner the mhz was around 2500 running Cyberpunk
The memory was around 2000 mhz
And the temp jumped up from 23 to 54 degrees celsius
Just to run Cyberpunk at 15 FPS at Ultra
A game that used to run at 60-70 frames for me.

I am <Mod Edit> irate right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS