Prebuilt, previously fine machine has sudden no display

katarumi

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I'm working with a prebuilt HP Pavilion HPE h8-1100z CTO Desktop with a Radeon HD 6870. The old lady was trucking along fine until last Friday. My husband put her to sleep and went to brush his teeth. Came back, noticed that she was unresponsive. After turning her off with the power button, she now won't boot.

- No USB power (mouse / keyboard don't light up)
- No display
- Fans come on, I hear something like a hard drive or maybe the CD drive. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I removed all sticks of RAM and got a beep code, so there's that. I reseated a single stick into the first slot, same issue. Reseated the graphics card, same issue. I reset the CMOS and now the CPU fan runs at 100% and I get USB power, but still no display.

Any ideas?

Solution

If It does not beep with RAM in the first slot, try booting with one stick of ram using each stick you have, to see if one of the sticks is bad.

katarumi

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
The beep code was the correct 'No RAM' beep code (five beeps, for this Mobo) when I removed all of the RAM. It does not beep with RAM in the first slot.

The display shows no signal, so I'm unable to get into either.

If It does not beep with RAM in the first slot, try booting with one stick of ram using each stick you have, to see if one of the sticks is bad.

Solution