[SOLVED] Prebuilt underperforming

Apr 6, 2021
I recently bought a prebuilt pc from bestbuy because i wasnt able to get a graphics card, link to the prebuilt is down below, im underperforming and im not sure why, when looking at the reviews for the pc and the specs i saw it has poor cooling so i purchased it with the intent to change out the cpu cooler but im not sure if there is another reason for the poor performance other than overheating, i am achieving an fps of around 50-60 in cod warzone mw (lowest settings), 60-70 in r6s (lowest settings) and around 80 in minecraft (running with shaders)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...b-hdd-256gb-ssd-black/6402514.p?skuId=6402514

Specs are as listed;

Ryzen 7 3700x

NVIDIA RTX 2060

1T HDD

256 SSD

16GB RAM

OS; Windows 10 x64

Solution
Is Ray Tracing disabled and DLSS enabled?
Is Geforce Experience used and set for a 4k DSR in the optimizations?

It's a pre-built, they don't come setup for best fps, they generally come setup for best visuals as that's what the demo rotation is going to be set at to grab customers attention. You won't sell as many pc's advertising 300fps in CSGO as you will with 'look, you can see the cameramans reflection in the sunglasses hanging from her bikini top with RTX'...

Might need to go through all the settings, clean out any bloatware etc and personalize the pc to you, not the masses.
Apr 6, 2021
What are your processor and graphics card utilization in game?
What resolution are you playing at?
Have you actually monitored the temps for yourself?
utilization varies, gpu from around 80%, cpu at around 50

playing at 1920x1080

and yes ive monitored the temperatures, cpu at my highest point was around 80c but averages around 70/75 celsius

GPU running at 80% on low at 1080p is not the best, have you tried running the games at higher settings?
Sometimes running games at too low of settings puts extra load on the processor instead of the GPU resulting in actually lower performance.

Apr 6, 2021
okay so gpu utilization was running at around 97% with 70c and cpu at 35% at 75c at 1920x1080p framerate is around 40-45 in search and destroy, tried raising the resolution and fps dropped to 15-20, my motherboard is a hp 87c3, could the underperformance just be because of a <Mod Edit> motherboard?

Last edited by a moderator:
okay so gpu utilization was running at around 97% with 70c and cpu at 35% at 75c at 1920x1080p framerate is around 40-45 in search and destroy, tried raising the resolution and fps dropped to 15-20, my motherboard is a hp 87c3, could the underperformance just be because of a <Mod Edit> motherboard?
Download this..............PC Benchmark
Reboot the machine and let it sit for 5 mins.
Run the benchmark and post a link to the results.

okay so gpu utilization was running at around 97% with 70c and cpu at 35% at 75c at 1920x1080p framerate is around 40-45 in search and destroy, tried raising the resolution and fps dropped to 15-20, my motherboard is a hp 87c3, could the underperformance just be because of a bad motherboard?
A poor quality motherboard shouldnt be an issue, I would agree with running userbench, its not the best software out there but it typically lets us see any major red flags (like a part not running at full speed).

First thing you want to do is reboot once in a while.
Being up 4/5/6 days can clutter up stuff.

Next thing is your OS drive/ssd is way to full.
You need to clean 20/30GB off that disk.
Run a pass of disk cleanup......don't forget the system files button.

After you get that done boot the machine and let it sit for 5 mins.
Run the benchmark and post a link.

Apr 6, 2021
First thing you want to do is reboot once in a while.
Being up 4/5/6 days can clutter up stuff.

Next thing is your OS drive/ssd is way to full.
You need to clean 20/30GB off that disk.
Run a pass of disk cleanup......don't forget the system files button.

After you get that done boot the machine and let it sit for 5 mins.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/41990887

Apr 6, 2021
so i was playing a game (it takes two) and my fps was staying at like 20-30 and even when i closed the game my mouse was lagging moving it along my taskbar i have around 27 gbs free on my ssd... this was the result when i ran benchmark, note i also installed the new geforce drivers before all this and my fps was performing the way it was... https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/prebuilt-underperforming.3697308/

this is the benchmark after i restart my pc and let it sit for 5min; https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42080582

so i was playing a game (it takes two) and my fps was staying at like 20-30 and even when i closed the game my mouse was lagging moving it along my taskbar i have around 27 gbs free on my ssd... this was the result when i ran benchmark, note i also installed the new geforce drivers before all this and my fps was performing the way it was... https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/prebuilt-underperforming.3697308/

this is the benchmark after i restart my pc and let it sit for 5min; https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42080582
You have too much stuff running at the same time.
Use task manager/startup and disable everything.
Reboot and let it sit for 5 mins.
Close the browser.
Close explorer.

Your OS disk is still too full.
Try to keep 50GB free.

You have too much stuff running at the same time.
Use task manager/startup and disable everything.
Reboot and let it sit for 5 mins.
Close the browser.
Close explorer.

Your OS disk is still too full.
Try to keep 50GB free.
While the background usage is still high I believe you might be focusing in too closely on that issue.
Have you noticed their GPU is performing in the 0 percentile? Its benching substantially lower than it should, even considering the processor usage during the test.

Honestly at this point I would contact your retailer for an exchange.

While the background usage is still high I believe you might be focusing in too closely on that issue.
Have you noticed their GPU is performing in the 0 percentile? Its benching substantially lower than it should, even considering the processor usage during the test.

Honestly at this point I would contact your retailer for an exchange.
Could be a gpu issue.
What I've seen is the benchmark gets screwed up if bunches of other stuff are running at the same time.

Apr 6, 2021
Could be a gpu issue.
What I've seen is the benchmark gets screwed up if bunches of other stuff are running at the same time.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42087537
im sure its not an issue of me having many things opening causing underperforming. i think its just a gpu issue like you guys were mentioning but now its a problem of what is the issue... it was underperforming since i got it but like the past few days its been unbearable.

Apr 6, 2021
It wasnt working right brand new, its not something you really should have to deal with then.
yeah it has a 2 week return/exchange and its been 2 weeks so its kinda my problem to deal with now, kinda stupid of me but i expected the pc to be working fine and its an anoyying predicament cus this was all because gpus are too hard to get right now so i couldnt build my own

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/42087537
im sure its not an issue of me having many things opening causing underperforming. i think its just a gpu issue like you guys were mentioning but now its a problem of what is the issue... it was underperforming since i got it but like the past few days its been unbearable.
OK....the background stuff is down and the benchmark shows 2 problem areas.

Your OS drive is too full and your gpu is slow.

You can fix the OS drive space issue.

In the gpu section of the benchmark there is a "?".
Click on that and see if something fits.
The is also an OC vid which you can try to see if it helps.

You said your past the merchant return date so the next step is to contact HP and have a chat.

Apr 6, 2021
OK....the background stuff is down and the benchmark shows 2 problem areas.

Your OS drive is too full and your gpu is slow.

You can fix the OS drive space issue.

In the gpu section of the benchmark there is a "?".
Click on that and see if something fits.
The is also an OC vid which you can try to see if it helps.

You said your past the merchant return date so the next step is to contact HP and have a chat.
in some of the examples of poor gpu performance it listed afterburer, ive had afterburner since i got the pc to monitor the degrees of everything. shortly after i used the actual software i should of used for the pc, OMEN and havent uninstalled afterburner, may it be that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Is Ray Tracing disabled and DLSS enabled?
Is Geforce Experience used and set for a 4k DSR in the optimizations?

It's a pre-built, they don't come setup for best fps, they generally come setup for best visuals as that's what the demo rotation is going to be set at to grab customers attention. You won't sell as many pc's advertising 300fps in CSGO as you will with 'look, you can see the cameramans reflection in the sunglasses hanging from her bikini top with RTX'...

Might need to go through all the settings, clean out any bloatware etc and personalize the pc to you, not the masses.

Last edited:
Solution