[SOLVED] Prebulit PC stopped working after a little less than 2 years. Not sure what the issue is, but company wants $400+ to fix, and I don't have the money.

Dec 14, 2019
I bought an HP omen a little less than 2 years ago, and it stopped working suddenly. I was playing Runescape and doing homework, and it just shut down without any warning. It showed no signs of wear so that is what catches me off guard the most. After the first time it randomly shut down, I was able to start it up again, but realized one monitor didn't work and the one that did had weird colored lines on it, and when I got to my lock screen there were green dots all over. I figured it may be a driver issue, so I decided to install the latest driver. It fixed it for around 10 minutes, before it ended up randomly shutting down again. After that, I've been unable to turn it back on. Now, it just starts up momentarily, having fans run and LED's light up for around 3 seconds, and dies down for 5 seconds, only to repeat again and again. I thought this was a PSU issue, but my friend said it could be any manner of things.

It's specs are:
CPU: i7-8700
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 1080
500w PSU

https://streamable.com/1re24 - here is a short video showing what it does when I turn it on now. Any help would be appreciated, as I don't have the money now to send it in for repairs for around $400-$700.

Solution
Well, if the GTX1080 isn't even in the tower and the problem persists...I think it's safe to say the GPU isn't the culprit :)

I agree. PSU is my first suspect (what's the make & model of the PSU anyway?). Was trying to eliminate the GPU power load from it to possibly give it a fighting chance of at least booting.

A good quality 650W PSU costs $70ish depending on what country you're shopping in.
Dec 14, 2019
Step 1: Take out your GTX1080 (physically remove it from the machine), plug the display cable into the ports on the rear IO panel of the mobo and see if you get booted.
Still didn't work out. Not sure if that completely rules out it being a GPU issue but I suppose it may hint at it. Any way it could be a RAM issue? PSU still seems like the big target to me.

Well, if the GTX1080 isn't even in the tower and the problem persists...I think it's safe to say the GPU isn't the culprit :)

I agree. PSU is my first suspect (what's the make & model of the PSU anyway?). Was trying to eliminate the GPU power load from it to possibly give it a fighting chance of at least booting.

A good quality 650W PSU costs $70ish depending on what country you're shopping in.

Solution
Dec 14, 2019

I think its a proprietary PSU made by HP, but I can see its a 80+ Bronze 500W.

TRENDING THREADS