precision 650 front USB or rear USB ports?

the dell precision 650 has dual USB ports in the front panel and dual rear
USB ports

can anyone confirm that the front USB ports are not enabled and how are they
enabled? BIOS change at bootup ?

reason I ask is that when I connect a USB harddrive to either of the front
panel ports, they are not detected but the rear USB ports immediately see
the new hardware and make it available to the OS

Don't know much about the Precision 650, but it has been my experience that
some of the front USB ports on other Dells (Dimensions 8200 and 4550) don't
have enough power for a USB harddrive, card readers or other devices that
need more power. HTH

Pat Conover
Remove *nospam* to e-mail me.
*nospam*patconover@comcast.net

"Heikki Lehto" <heikki.lehto@nokia-eu.com> wrote in message
> the dell precision 650 has dual USB ports in the front panel and dual rear
> USB ports
>
> can anyone confirm that the front USB ports are not enabled and how are
they
> enabled? BIOS change at bootup ?
>
> reason I ask is that when I connect a USB harddrive to either of the front
> panel ports, they are not detected but the rear USB ports immediately see
> the new hardware and make it available to the OS

Pat Conover wrote
> Don't know much about the Precision 650, but it has been my experience
that
> some of the front USB ports on other Dells (Dimensions 8200 and 4550)
don't
> have enough power for a USB harddrive, card readers or other devices that
> need more power. HTH

thanks for the reply.
would the above apply as my USB harddrive has it's own powersupply and uses
the USB port only for the data transfer (ie. does not draw power from the
port) ?

well, at any rate, both of the rear USB ports work fine, it's just a pain to
reach back there ... :)

Sorry, but I don't know.

> Pat Conover wrote
> > Don't know much about the Precision 650, but it has been my experience
> that
> > some of the front USB ports on other Dells (Dimensions 8200 and 4550)
> don't
> > have enough power for a USB harddrive, card readers or other devices
that
> > need more power. HTH
>
> thanks for the reply.
> would the above apply as my USB harddrive has it's own powersupply and
uses
> the USB port only for the data transfer (ie. does not draw power from the
> port) ?
>
> well, at any rate, both of the rear USB ports work fine, it's just a pain
> reach back there ... :)

TRENDING THREADS