[SOLVED] Precision boost

Wooderzon

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
So recently I built my first pc, and I'm still pretty novice when it comes to this stuff. I just bought the parts and put them together.
Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600x
EVGA XC Ultra RTX 2070 Super
Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz C16 Ram
Asus Tuf X-570 Motherboard
Seasonic Focus GX-650 Power Supply
currently using Hyper 212 RGB Black edition air cooler

So my issue since I built this system was my games constantly crashing. Started with Sekiro and was literally crashing every 10 minutes. Did everything to fix it from reading posts online and came across someone saying to disable any overclocks. I knew I didn't have an overclock, but I knew I had my cpu boosting higher than its base speed with precision boost. So I disabled it, and sekiro stopped crashing and never crashed again for another 60 hours that I played the game. I recently turned precision boost back on, and my games started crashing again. Mainly Division 2 and Destiny 2. After again trying many things to fix these games from crashing from reading posts online such as clean installing windows, tweaking a lot of in game settings and windows settings, I finally just decided to turn off precision boost again. And what do you know my games stopped crashing. My question is why is this feature not working for me? This feature was automatically turned on for me when I built this pc, all I did was overclock ram to advertised speed with D.O.C.P. profile. I've monitored temps with Msi afterburner and have never seen my cpu reach over 65 degrees while gaming, usually sitting around 62-64 degrees with precision boost on, temps even lower with it off. Gpu temps are good as well. I've looked around the internet for people with this same issue and haven't come across any posts, so any help would be appreciated. It's Just annoying that I paid for this feature, and I would like to get all the performance I can.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have a very similar situation ongoing with a 2700x on an x370 platform. If I utilize PBO or XMP the system will not be stable. Various issues from Windows hangs, app crashes, BSOD, huge variety of issues. I have updated though BIOS up to a degree that I am even trying the newest "not recommended" one (which is working to some degree I think).
I have purchased loads of new parts aside from the mobo and this particular proc chasing the issue.
IMO I'd be super happy if I knew to go new CPU or new mobo with 100% certainty.

Good luck

Wooderzon

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
Did you set manual settings or did you just let the motherboard choose the settings for PBO? Also, what bios version do you have (specifically, which AGESA version?)
I have the lates bios. 1405 updated shortly after I built the system. And as far as settings they are all chosen by bios. Not home at the moment so don’t know what they all were but pretty sure they are all set to auto.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
So recently I built my first pc, and I'm still pretty novice when it comes to this stuff. I just bought the parts and put them together.
Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600x
EVGA XC Ultra RTX 2070 Super
Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz C16 Ram
Asus Tuf X-570 Motherboard
Seasonic Focus GX-650 Power Supply
currently using Hyper 212 RGB Black edition air cooler

So my issue since I built this system was my games constantly crashing. Started with Sekiro and was literally crashing every 10 minutes. Did everything to fix it from reading posts online and came across someone saying to disable any overclocks. I knew I didn't have an overclock, but I knew I had my cpu boosting higher than its base speed with precision boost. So I disabled it, and sekiro stopped crashing and never crashed again for another 60 hours that I played the game. I recently turned precision boost back on, and my games started crashing again. Mainly Division 2 and Destiny 2. After again trying many things to fix these games from crashing from reading posts online such as clean installing windows, tweaking a lot of in game settings and windows settings, I finally just decided to turn off precision boost again. And what do you know my games stopped crashing. My question is why is this feature not working for me? This feature was automatically turned on for me when I built this pc, all I did was overclock ram to advertised speed with D.O.C.P. profile. I've monitored temps with Msi afterburner and have never seen my cpu reach over 65 degrees while gaming, usually sitting around 62-64 degrees with precision boost on, temps even lower with it off. Gpu temps are good as well. I've looked around the internet for people with this same issue and haven't come across any posts, so any help would be appreciated. It's Just annoying that I paid for this feature, and I would like to get all the performance I can.

Is your RAM listed on your motherboard's QVL?
If not then it may not be fully compatible and stable.

Andy

Wooderzon

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
I have a very similar situation ongoing with a 2700x on an x370 platform. If I utilize PBO or XMP the system will not be stable. Various issues from Windows hangs, app crashes, BSOD, huge variety of issues. I have updated though BIOS up to a degree that I am even trying the newest "not recommended" one (which is working to some degree I think).
I have purchased loads of new parts aside from the mobo and this particular proc chasing the issue.
IMO I'd be super happy if I knew to go new CPU or new mobo with 100% certainty.

Good luck
Yeah I’m not sure. I literally only have had game crashes. No BSODs or anything like that. I only game with this pc.

I have the lates bios. 1405 updated shortly after I built the system. And as far as settings they are all chosen by bios. Not home at the moment so don’t know what they all were but pretty sure they are all set to auto.
Try setting manual pbo settings. Set limits to 300 230 230 and scalar to x4. That gives the most performance gains on the latest agesa anyways.
View: https://youtu.be/G7Z7bJJcCNY

Solution