Predator G6-710 Upgrade to GTX 980 SLI Possibility

e3arul

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
Hey everyone, so I currently own a Acer Predator G6-710 i7-6700k GTX 980 prebuilt desktop and i was looking into converting it into an SLI rig running dual 980's, i was just wondering if this would be possible using a new case and motherboard and if anyone has done this before, thanks.

Solution
Of course it's possible, might even be possible with your current motherboard depending on what it is. Your power supply will also need to be capable of powering two 980s.

That said I would not really recommend it, SLI support has been very bad or non existent in a lot of modern games and it looks like that trend will only continue. I would suggest you go for a powerful single GPU whenever GPU prices settle back down, I just don't think SLI is worth it anymore unless you are looking to play some specific games that have proper SLI support.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Of course it's possible, might even be possible with your current motherboard depending on what it is. Your power supply will also need to be capable of powering two 980s.

That said I would not really recommend it, SLI support has been very bad or non existent in a lot of modern games and it looks like that trend will only continue. I would suggest you go for a powerful single GPU whenever GPU prices settle back down, I just don't think SLI is worth it anymore unless you are looking to play some specific games that have proper SLI support.

Solution

e3arul

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
Wow thanks for the quick answers everyone, i was looking to use SLI for 4k gaming but i think ill hold off until compatibility improves, thanks again

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I don't think SLI support will ever improve, it will likely get worse. And SLI 980s is not the best choice for 4k gaming, you would ideally want something with more VRAM.