[SOLVED] Preferred GPU keeps changing to Integrated ?

May 10, 2021
I currently have a Lenovo Legion 5i with some kind of hybrid GPU that consists of an Intel UHD Adapter and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 (You'll have to excuse me whenever I incorrectly state something, I'm new here and I still don't quite understand how computers work.) Lately I've been noticing when running 3D games that my game runs poorly and only uses the integrated graphics. I've been using Geforce overlay and MSI afterburner and both state that the GTX 1650 is not in use.

Here are a list of things that are happening:

• When I open the Nvidia control panel, in the 3D settings tab the preferred graphics processor box is grayed out, seeming to be locked on the Integrated Graphics option
  • I cannot open my Intel Graphics Control Panel, it will show the initializing overlay when I click on it from the desktop, but after that it disappears and it doesn't open.
  • If I reset the settings to default, select the GTX 1650 and click apply, the box grays out again and shows the Integrated graphics option
Downloading and reinstalling the Nvidia driver from the website seems to temporarily bring things back to normal (I can open the Intel control panel and use my gpu to play games) but after a while the same issue happens again.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Sorry if reading this gave you a headache, I'm new here.

Solution
hi, ive seen issues like this where windows removes the current driver for your gpu and installs its own driver for the integrated graphics, try turning off automatic driver updates in windows updates and install your own drivers.

Louie38

Honorable
May 24, 2016
hi, ive seen issues like this where windows removes the current driver for your gpu and installs its own driver for the integrated graphics, try turning off automatic driver updates in windows updates and install your own drivers.

Solution