Premature Nintendo Eulogies

Don't you all find it funny when you go to a discussion boards on videogames
to hear people talk of Nintendo as already one foot in the grave?
As if the buzzards & vultures are circling overhead already?

To hear people actually say that Nintendo should become 3rd party & get out
of the hardware business boggles the mind.

This isn't 1982 with the Colecovision anymore for God's sakes!

Gracious! Nintendo fuels most of the innovation that's been going on in
games (hardware & applications) SINCE the 1980's. If it weren't for them we
may not have HAD a gaming industry...at least not here in America. Not to
THIS scale anyway.

It's a pride thing.
You will never see a Mario or a Zelda or any other Nintendo trademark on
another system besides a Nintendo one ever again.

Why?
Because Nintendo's designs its hardware to match the software it develops.
Always has from day one.
And if they don't have the freedom to develop an interface & control setup
the way they want then they simply won't do it.

Not just that. It's more of company mindset. You can almost think of it as
the family business in a way. A particular brand of thinking. The uniqueness
that has set them apart for all of these years.
It's like any artist who creates something & wants his creation to receive
the proper respect & admiration. Protective of his works trusting them only
who is deemed worthy.

Nintendo isn't going anywhere ANYTIME soon. You can bet on that.
One who innovates....sustenates. Sustains.

The only reason Sega is no longer a hardware company (& I'm still sad to
know this) is because of the mistakes they made in the 16-bit/32-bit era
(Sega CD/32X/Saturn). The Dreamcast was a damned fine system. Full of that
true gamemaker innovation in the titles & the presentation. If it weren't
for the mistakes of the past we would still be talking about Dreamcast right
now.

Nintendo & Sega had 1st party power always. The company name on the system
ALSO made the games instead of just played others' own.

Sony & X-Box just don't have that. Never did.
Sony survives off of the mass market appeal due to the plethora of available
titles. The glut if you will. (you can find playstation games in Dollar
General stores & pharmacies now along with 2-liter bottles of RC cola)
Franchises who've left Nintendo went there & largely keep that ship
floating. That may not be forever & if it ever goes what will Sony have to
fall back on?

X-Box captures the disaffected market (many ex-Sega loyalists) who won't
join Nintendo, some computer gamers, & those who like room to customize due
to the hard drive. As well as online gaming fans.

Both of those capture the deluded contingent of people who think of
themselves as "adult gamers" (I'll have a post on this soon).

Yet innovation always has resided on Nintendo's side. They keep the industry
moving forward even if they don't dominate it like they did in the 1980's.
Nintendo has never been out of the fight. And over the past 10 years they've
been fortifying a loyal customer base that will give them bedrock they need
when they recapture their 3rd party power.
The Famicom was the name of the first system, guys. This was the same
company that censored the blood out of Mortal Kombat I on the SNES,
remember? They will ALWAYS keep the young market which is VERY smart. Babies
are being born everyday.

To think that the concerned parent market is a trifle is just foolish
thinking. Also over the years they've also become the most economical gaming
system. Double whammy. Which system will a concerned parent in this
Bushconomy buy more readily?
•Sony & Dead or Alive: the Bouncing Chronicles/Grand Theft Auto: Jacker's
Revenge for $350?
•X-Box 360 & Halo: Grunts for Heaven/Half-Life: DIE!!! for $400
•Nintendo & Super Mario: Where's My Princess?/Animal Crossing: Look Both
Ways for $200

Don't think I have to answer that do I?

Sure you have to think of all markets/consumers but Nintendo has fortified
the family position better than any company. The only reason they've lost
market dominance is purely volume issues. Those franchises that filled in
the gaps between Nintendo 1st party/2nd party releases largely have jumped
ship to the other two systems. Their 3rd party power isn't what it used to
be. That's all. And that's not a permanent condition. All it takes is one
thing to reverse that.

Anyone who thinks that Nintendo doesn't have a dog in this fight must have
only come along as a game player during the last 5 or 10 years.
I suggest to those individuals who think that way that Nintendo is the oak
that will see many comers & goers but will still be that tree standing when
it's all said & done.

They're not an electronics company. They're not a computer company. They're
a gaming company. Sega was a gaming company. And it is BECAUSE of that why
you will NEVER have to worry about a day that games aren't associated with
that iconic Japanese name any time soon.

Call it a day for Nintendo when they get rid of the likes of Shigeru &
company.
Until that happens enough of the Premature Nintendo Eulogies.

Any thoughts on my post, readers?

John Lucas

"John Lucas" <johnlucas@coastalnow.net> a écrit dans le message de
> Don't you all find it funny when you go to a discussion boards on
videogames
> to hear people talk of Nintendo as already one foot in the grave?
> As if the buzzards & vultures are circling overhead already?

Nintendo is dead. FACT ;-)

> To hear people actually say that Nintendo should become 3rd party & get
out
> of the hardware business boggles the mind.
>
> This isn't 1982 with the Colecovision anymore for God's sakes!

If Nintendo was giving up the hardware race, don't you think that the
Nintendo fans (at leat those not having committed suicide or gone living
like ermits in a remote island) would be happy to continue playing Mario
Zelda or Metriod on other systems ?

> Gracious! Nintendo fuels most of the innovation that's been going on in
> games (hardware & applications) SINCE the 1980's. If it weren't for them
we
> may not have HAD a gaming industry...at least not here in America. Not to
> THIS scale anyway.

I would not go that far.
All console / micro computers that ever existed since the 8-bit era
innovated in some ways, but off course if you constantly rewrite history
from a nintendo perspective then YES, nintendo did most of the innovations.

> It's a pride thing.
> You will never see a Mario or a Zelda or any other Nintendo trademark on
> another system besides a Nintendo one ever again.

You don't know that.

> Why?
> Because Nintendo's designs its hardware to match the software it develops.
> Always has from day one.
> And if they don't have the freedom to develop an interface & control setup
> the way they want then they simply won't do it.

I really cannot see any gamecube nintendo game that could not be ported on a
DC/PS2/XBOX.

> Not just that. It's more of company mindset. You can almost think of it as
> the family business in a way. A particular brand of thinking. The
uniqueness
> that has set them apart for all of these years.
> It's like any artist who creates something & wants his creation to receive
> the proper respect & admiration. Protective of his works trusting them
only
> who is deemed worthy.
>
> Nintendo isn't going anywhere ANYTIME soon. You can bet on that.
> One who innovates....sustenates. Sustains.

Peoples die, empires collapse, cars end in scrapyard.
Companies die as well, and one day Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft may die.
I think that when people say "Nintendo is dead" they mostly think in the
hardware non-handheld market.
Off course Nintendo, even if the revolution fails, would survive as a
company.
After all Amstrad survived the end of the CPC era, Sega still exists.
Even if Nintendo dies completely there will certainly be someone to buy the
brand, like Atari or Commodore.

> The only reason Sega is no longer a hardware company (& I'm still sad to
> know this) is because of the mistakes they made in the 16-bit/32-bit era
> (Sega CD/32X/Saturn). The Dreamcast was a damned fine system. Full of that
> true gamemaker innovation in the titles & the presentation. If it weren't
> for the mistakes of the past we would still be talking about Dreamcast
right
> now.
>
> Nintendo & Sega had 1st party power always. The company name on the system
> ALSO made the games instead of just played others' own.
>
> Sony & X-Box just don't have that. Never did.

But is that so important ?
Besides it is not entirely true. Microsoft doe games, not just Halo on the
xbox but a lot of PC games. The first that comes to my mind is flight
simulator.
I know there are others.
Tbh I prefer people to keep doing what they are best at: I don't want Capcom
or EA to release their own console.

> Sony survives off of the mass market appeal due to the plethora of
available
> titles. The glut if you will. (you can find playstation games in Dollar
> General stores & pharmacies now along with 2-liter bottles of RC cola)
> Franchises who've left Nintendo went there & largely keep that ship
> floating. That may not be forever & if it ever goes what will Sony have to
> fall back on?

What's wrong with that?
May be Nintendo should fail then. If they succeed too much: horror: there
could be too much games on the system, like the playstation.
I am sure nintendo will do everything they can to discourage third parties
to release games on their console.

> X-Box captures the disaffected market (many ex-Sega loyalists) who won't
> join Nintendo, some computer gamers, & those who like room to customize
due
> to the hard drive. As well as online gaming fans.

Every console has its market. I see nothing wrong to sell a console to
computer gamers, ex Sega fans or online gaming fans.
Or may be you want nintendo to put a big sticker on each revolution box "NOT
for Computer, online or SEGA gamers".

> Both of those capture the deluded contingent of people who think of
> themselves as "adult gamers" (I'll have a post on this soon).

No. That is a fantasy of some Nintendo fans to see a conspiracy against
them.
Apart from trolls I do not see so many people genuinely thinking that. It
may happen but a lot less than what you think.

> Yet innovation always has resided on Nintendo's side. They keep the
industry
> moving forward even if they don't dominate it like they did in the 1980's.
> Nintendo has never been out of the fight. And over the past 10 years
they've
> been fortifying a loyal customer base that will give them bedrock they
need
> when they recapture their 3rd party power.
> The Famicom was the name of the first system, guys. This was the same
> company that censored the blood out of Mortal Kombat I on the SNES,
> remember? They will ALWAYS keep the young market which is VERY smart.
Babies
> are being born everyday.

I agree. Not being "just for kid" does not mean going away from them either.
Otherwise why is it Microsoft tries so desperately to have more
party/platform games on the xbox ?

> To think that the concerned parent market is a trifle is just foolish
> thinking. Also over the years they've also become the most economical
gaming
> system. Double whammy. Which system will a concerned parent in this
> Bushconomy buy more readily?
> .Sony & Dead or Alive: the Bouncing Chronicles/Grand Theft Auto: Jacker's
> Revenge for $350?
> .X-Box 360 & Halo: Grunts for Heaven/Half-Life: DIE!!! for $400
> .Nintendo & Super Mario: Where's My Princess?/Animal Crossing: Look Both
> Ways for $200
>
> Don't think I have to answer that do I?

Every system has its advantages.
Nintendo: the price, Sony: the quantity, Microsoft: the online and the most
powerful hardware.
Not everyone will go for the cheapest system, except if you release a system
that is simultaenously the most powerful, most supported and cheapest one.
The gamecube price came at a price (so to speak): no online, no video DVD
support.

> Sure you have to think of all markets/consumers but Nintendo has fortified
> the family position better than any company. The only reason they've lost
> market dominance is purely volume issues. Those franchises that filled in
> the gaps between Nintendo 1st party/2nd party releases largely have jumped
> ship to the other two systems. Their 3rd party power isn't what it used to
> be. That's all. And that's not a permanent condition. All it takes is one
> thing to reverse that.

It is more complex than that. The xbox had twice as many games released as
the gamecube, is the most powerfull current system,
and cheaper than the ps2, and still it sold barely more than the gamecube.

> Anyone who thinks that Nintendo doesn't have a dog in this fight must have
> only come along as a game player during the last 5 or 10 years.
> I suggest to those individuals who think that way that Nintendo is the oak
> that will see many comers & goers but will still be that tree standing
when
> it's all said & done.
>
> They're not an electronics company. They're not a computer company.
They're
> a gaming company. Sega was a gaming company. And it is BECAUSE of that why
> you will NEVER have to worry about a day that games aren't associated with
> that iconic Japanese name any time soon.
>
> Call it a day for Nintendo when they get rid of the likes of Shigeru &
> company.
> Until that happens enough of the Premature Nintendo Eulogies.

For a change: Sony is dead. Microsoft too.

> Any thoughts on my post, readers?
>
> John Lucas

<snip>

>> It's a pride thing.
>> You will never see a Mario or a Zelda or any other Nintendo trademark
>> on another system besides a Nintendo one ever again.
>
> You don't know that.

Nintendo themselves have stated this. If memory serves, the line was
something like "The day we stop making hardware, is the day we stop making
games." I do not have a link to a news story, so you will have to take my
word for it.

<snip>

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Antonin PAVIL" <antonin@pavil.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "John Lucas" <johnlucas@coastalnow.net> a écrit dans le message de
>> Don't you all find it funny when you go to a discussion boards on
> I really cannot see any gamecube nintendo game that could not be ported on
> DC/PS2/XBOX.

Resident Evil 4

Rob wrote:
> "Antonin PAVIL" <antonin@pavil.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Lucas" <johnlucas@coastalnow.net> a écrit dans le message de
> >> Don't you all find it funny when you go to a discussion boards on
> > I really cannot see any gamecube nintendo game that could not be ported on
> > DC/PS2/XBOX.
> >
> Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 4 a Nintendo game ?
Besides, RE4 IS being ported to the PS2.
And last, the initial point to which I was answering to was about
nintendo games not being portable because of the controller layout, not
because of different hardware specs.

Antonin.

"Rob" <robertnospamaccomando@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Antonin PAVIL" <antonin@pavil.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Lucas" <johnlucas@coastalnow.net> a écrit dans le message de
>>> Don't you all find it funny when you go to a discussion boards on
>> I really cannot see any gamecube nintendo game that could not be ported
>> on a
>> DC/PS2/XBOX.
>>
> Resident Evil 4

Huh? The XBox is more powerful than the Gamecube and could easily handle
Resident Evil 4. In fact it would probably look better on the XBox.

ME

"carrajo" <carrajo@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:YnHYe.11074$0u2.2207136@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Drivel, Drivel and more Drivel

Ahem, pot...kettle....black....

"Rob" <robertnospamaccomando@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Antonin PAVIL" <antonin@pavil.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Lucas" <johnlucas@coastalnow.net> a écrit dans le message de
>>> Don't you all find it funny when you go to a discussion boards on
>> I really cannot see any gamecube nintendo game that could not be ported
>> on a
>> DC/PS2/XBOX.
>>
> Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 4 is made by Capcom not nintendo. And I read somewhere the
reason it got released on Gamecube frst was because nintendo payed capcom
for 6 months/1 years rights to the game before sony to help sell gamecubes
which it undoubtedly did. Res Evil is traditionaly for Playstation. Though
res evil 5 will be released for xbox 360 as well as ps3 though no word yet
on revolution

I'm one fo those people that think nintendos days are numbered. I've owned
every nintnedo console out. NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA, DS and Gamecube.
Im 29 but I find nintendo games don't cut it any more. I sold my Cube and
bought an xbox and havent looked back. The only thing cube had going for it
was RE4 but that wasn't nintendo. Mario isn't that revolutionary any more im
afraid. And yes I look back at those nostalgic days of the 80's but you have
to be honest given the choise what would you sooner play Mario Party 6/Mario
Sunshine/Luigi Mansion or Counter Strike Source online against real people?
Would you sooner play Mario Kart or Gran Tourismo/Grand Theft Auto SA.

Thing is Nintendo still think it's those golden days of the 80's. It isn't,
times moved on and so have the people who used play mario when nintendo were
at there peak. I honestly think the new revolution controller is a good idea
and likely that Microsoft & Sony will include a similar type of controller
in the xbox460 and PS4, but lets face it without lots adult-orientated (i.e.
violent?) games along the lines GTA, Halo, Half Life and realistic racers
like Gran Tourismo & Forza they will *NOT* win back the majority of gamers
they need to survive.

My guess is they may break some ground but won't gain much more market share
than they already have. They may make a new platform game that sets a
benchmark like they did with Mario 64, and let's face it they need to after
the dire mario-sunshine, but from where i'm standing unless nintendo start
to grow up with there gamers the sun is setting.