Premier Pro 4k Editing HDD question.

May 12, 2018
I just built a new system to edit 4k and I have a question regarding Hard Drive config/optimization.

1) Should I have a dedicated SSD for videos to be exported too before moving it to final storage?

-Right now I been using 1 SSD for scratch, pre-edit footage and exports.

Here is a setup I have in my mind for when I put it together.

Samsung 960 EVO 256gb M.2 Drive 1
-OS & applications
Sandisk 256gb SSD Drive 2
-Scratch disk
WD 1TB SSD Drive 3
-4k footage pre-edit storage location
Sandisk 256gb SSD Drive 4
-Exports
Regular HDD Drive (eventually raid setup. - Drive 5
Move final files here for storage.

2) Is this too many steps or can I use Drive 3 to render and export too?

Thank you for all the help, please excuse any ignorances in these questions, I’m still learning!

My new System-
Intel i7 8700k
Msi z370 M5 MoBo
32gb Corsair RAM
Gigabyte 1060 6gb GPU
Evga 850w PSU

Solution
No, you don't need an export drive -- the scratch drive is the key, just insure that it is properly set up in your Premiere as the scratch drive.

And while I too use a RAID 5 array for storage, you still need backup -- this is especially true if your RAID 5 is run off of a motherboard controller. I use a separate Adaptec controller and still have a full backup on another array since it is many hours of work to recreate the original edit.

RealBeast

Titan
No, you don't need an export drive -- the scratch drive is the key, just insure that it is properly set up in your Premiere as the scratch drive.

And while I too use a RAID 5 array for storage, you still need backup -- this is especially true if your RAID 5 is run off of a motherboard controller. I use a separate Adaptec controller and still have a full backup on another array since it is many hours of work to recreate the original edit.

Solution