Premiere - 8MB vs. 64MB

G

I currently run a Celeron 300 system with an ATI All-In-Wonder 8MB. I'm trying to get more into video editing, so I'm purchasing a new system with an Athlon XP1900+ as well as a large 7200rpm hard drive. My question lies in what kind of video card would best suit me. I really don't play any games, so am I wasting my money buying a new video card that has 64MB? If Windows/Premiere doesn't use that memory except for gaming, then I think it makes more sense to use my existing All-In-Wonder in my new system. I read all the articles on this site pertaining to video memory, but I'm still lost as to if the 64MB will help me in video editing or if that's a purchase that will go to waste. Please advise.

mystic

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
The 64 will help but not too much with what your doing plus the new all in wonder cards have new features. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

G

I've been editing video now for over 2 years, using a Pinnacle DC30 card with Premiere. I've just bought a Pinnacle Pro/1 card - what can be done with it is absolutely amazing!
For an easy guide and details of equipment options checkout www.dvc.uk.com

<B><I>Mervin</B></I>

G

I'm basically looking to spend as little as possible, so if the extra RAM on the card won't do anything for me, I'm stoked to save $30 or so and use my existing card. Thanks.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I would recommend that you get the Radeon VE, if you get an add on card, or the AIW Radeon. This will allow you to have features such as a multiply video outputs, and future proof your system for any other apps that may come your way. All you really need is 32 MB of ram, which both cards will provide, as it satnds, the AIW Pro is no longer supported by the new OS and you may have difficulies running digital video through anything less than Windows 2000 or XP. Also, get 1 small HD (20-30GB 7200RPM) for your programms, then get another 40-80 GB HD for the Video, this will increase the general capture preformance, especially when dealing with analog video.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
I agree with 'Arsend'. I have also been editing for a while, upgraded my 16 Mb VooDoo3 (which i thought at the time was adequate-ish) to a "Gainward Golden Sample 32 Mb Geforce 2 MX 400 Twin View Video In Video Out" (long name). Basically, the quality of display was better than the VooDoo (i am led to believe the Matrox is the leader in terms of pure 2d visual quality), i have a cheap 2nd monitor that is really great for using Adobe Premiere (i can also connect up a TV to preview work) and can use the VIVO function to capture footage from VHS or TV. I splashed out on a Gainward for overclocking (so i also have pretty good 3d gaming ability) but that probably wont interest you.
In short - you do get a better card if you buy a new one, but a Geforce 3 would probably be overkill. Get a twin view for editing.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nursemsic on 02/13/02 01:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>