Premiere for Mac?

What happened to Adobe Premiere for the Macintosh?

I'm not trying to start a Mac vs PC war here (in fact, I'm not a Mac user).

I once thought that Adobe Premiere was the dominant video editing tool.

Now I see that on the Windows Platform, Premiere 6.0 was totally rewritten
as Premiere Pro, which is now up to version 1.5

But, what ever happened to the Mac version of Premiere? It seems like 6.5
was the last version of that, and the Adobe web site doesn't even seem to
promote a Mac version anymore?

I know that Apple is really dominating on the Mac platform (i.e. with
iMovie and Final Cut Pro), but did Adobe just drop out of the market, or
did they sell the software to someone?

On the Windows platform, you have many choices: Premiere Pro, Canopus
Edius, Pinnacle, Avid, etc.

What are the choices on the Mac platform, other than from Apple?

"fsda" wrote ...
> What happened to Adobe Premiere for the Macintosh?

With their market share slipping to ~2%, Macs have become
less and less viable as a market for application developers.

Maybe now that they have announced switching to IA, it
will be easier for developers to compile for both markets.
And/or maybe Apple's market share will grow a bit with
access to more competitive processors.

"fsda" <Sh@fdafd.fds> wrote in message
> What happened to Adobe Premiere for the Macintosh?

Adobe no longer supports Mac for Premiere.

> I'm not trying to start a Mac vs PC war here (in fact, I'm not a Mac
user).

> I once thought that Adobe Premiere was the dominant video editing tool.

I don't know about "the," but it remains "a" dominant video editing tool.

> Now I see that on the Windows Platform, Premiere 6.0 was totally rewritten
> as Premiere Pro, which is now up to version 1.5

Premiere 6.5 was re-written as Premiere Pro 1.0, which is now up to 1.5.1.

> But, what ever happened to the Mac version of Premiere? It seems like 6.5
> was the last version of that, and the Adobe web site doesn't even seem to
> promote a Mac version anymore?

Adobe dropped Premiere for Mac after version 6.5.

> I know that Apple is really dominating on the Mac platform (i.e. with
> iMovie and Final Cut Pro),

Ummm . . . Apple is Mac. Is that what you meant to say? FCP is a major
video editing program, comparable in power and target to demographic to
Premiere and Vegas. iMovie is a toy consumer product, similar to
Microsoft's MovieMaker and Sony's Movie Shaker.

> but did Adobe just drop out of the market, or
> did they sell the software to someone?

They just dropped out of the Mac market.

> On the Windows platform, you have many choices: Premiere Pro, Canopus
> Edius, Pinnacle, Avid, etc.
>
> What are the choices on the Mac platform, other than from Apple?

Can't help you there, sorry.

AnthonyR

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote in message
> "fsda" wrote ...
>> What happened to Adobe Premiere for the Macintosh?
>
> With their market share slipping to ~2%, Macs have become
> less and less viable as a market for application developers.
>
> Maybe now that they have announced switching to IA, it
> will be easier for developers to compile for both markets.
> And/or maybe Apple's market share will grow a bit with
> access to more competitive processors.

Richard,
I agree, I wonder however exactly how this apple change to Intel chips will
work out
in terms of software exactly. I know it will be very easy for developers to
make a few changes in code
and port to both OS' but will let's say software written strictly for Intel
just be able to be run in the new
Apple (intel) models? Or will the developer need to tweak these minor
adjustments and still release special
Mac versions? I suspect it will be the later.
But if the new OS X ran all Windows software without needing special
versions, wow, that would really
boost apple sales, as people always have loved the speed and upgradability
of the PC but not always crazy
about the OS (Windows).
Heck, I might even be tempted to buy the new OS X if it runs on my Pentium
4, :) And can use my current
Windows software, but I don't think it will be that easy, Wouldn't Bill do
everything in his power to stop such a thing?

AnthonyR.

"AnthonyR" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote in message
>> "fsda" wrote ...
>>> What happened to Adobe Premiere for the Macintosh?
>>
>> With their market share slipping to ~2%, Macs have become
>> less and less viable as a market for application developers.
>>
>> Maybe now that they have announced switching to IA, it
>> will be easier for developers to compile for both markets.
>> And/or maybe Apple's market share will grow a bit with
>> access to more competitive processors.
>
> Richard,
> I agree, I wonder however exactly how this apple change to Intel chips
> will work out
> in terms of software exactly. I know it will be very easy for
> developers to make a few changes in code
> and port to both OS' but will let's say software written strictly for
> Intel just be able to be run in the new
> Apple (intel) models? Or will the developer need to tweak these minor
> adjustments and still release special
> Mac versions? I suspect it will be the later.
> But if the new OS X ran all Windows software without needing special
> versions, wow, that would really
> boost apple sales, as people always have loved the speed and
> upgradability of the PC but not always crazy
> about the OS (Windows).
> Heck, I might even be tempted to buy the new OS X if it runs on my
> Pentium 4, :) And can use my current
> Windows software, but I don't think it will be that easy, Wouldn't
> Bill do everything in his power to stop such a thing?

Several experts have opined that the Apple-Intel liason
is more about the Intel-Microsoft relationship than it is
about the Apple-IBM relationship. That it is a shot across
the bow of MS to remind them that they don't rule ALL
the universe (at least yet).

Circa July 2003 Premiere announced the following in their press
release fro the reason they dropped Mac support:

"If Apple's already doing an application, it makes the market for a
third-party developer that much smaller," said David Trescot, senior
director of Adobe's digital video products group. "I think you're
going to find that more and more -- if Apple's in a software market,
third-party vendors are going to skip it."

Regards,

Hal Lowe

http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:47:34 GMT, "AnthonyR" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote:

>Heck, I might even be tempted to buy the new OS X if it runs on my Pentium
>4, :)

Officialy it is said that it will have protection to only run from specific
hardware. But as we all know that will probably be cracked when it is
released before you can say blueberrymuffin. So, I guess you still stand a
chance then.

cheers

-martin-
--

"Beer is life!"

"Martin Heffels" wrote ...
> "AnthonyR" wrote:
>>Heck, I might even be tempted to buy the new OS X if it runs on my
>>Pentium
>>4, :)
>
> Officialy it is said that it will have protection to only run from
> specific
> hardware. But as we all know that will probably be cracked when it is
> released before you can say blueberrymuffin. So, I guess you still
> stand a
> chance then.

Already done (several weeks ago).

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:47:59 -0700, "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net>
wrote:

>Several experts have opined that the Apple-Intel liason
>is more about the Intel-Microsoft relationship than it is
>about the Apple-IBM relationship. That it is a shot across
>the bow of MS to remind them that they don't rule ALL
>the universe (at least yet).

I think Microsoft already knew that, because of Intel-Linux :)

-martin-
--

"Beer is life!"

> Several experts have opined that the Apple-Intel liason
> is more about the Intel-Microsoft relationship than it is
> about the Apple-IBM relationship. That it is a shot across
> the bow of MS to remind them that they don't rule ALL
> the universe (at least yet).

"When Experts Opine" Thursday nite on FOX.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:49:17 GMT, "Jona Vark" <noemail@all.com> wrote:

>"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley@xpr7t.net> wrote in message
>> Several experts have opined that the Apple-Intel liason
>> is more about the Intel-Microsoft relationship than it is
>> about the Apple-IBM relationship. That it is a shot across
>> the bow of MS to remind them that they don't rule ALL
>> the universe (at least yet).
>>

>"When Experts Opine" Thursday nite on FOX.

ROTFL...perhaps they'll reveal their unnamed sources...

Hal