premiere pro and alpha

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

i'm looking to buy an editing app, probly either premiere pro 1.5 or
vegas 5. i have likes and dislikes about each of them... but a major
determining factor will be their ability to handle alpha.

had a play with premiere 6 yrs ago i remember that it couldn't interpret
imported footage/frames, eg: u couldn't choose straight or premultiplied
alpha like you can with after effects or vegas.

can premiere pro do this now...? the product specs on adobe.com don't
seem to mention it...

cheers

ps. if there are any cheaper editing apps that can interpret alpha, do
basic AV editing and compositing, and output to QT & AVI, i'd be keen to
hear about them :)

pps. the adobe site says prem pro supports XP but doesn't mention
win2K....?? will it work ok on 2K...?

thewanderer

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

How could v1.5 just come out when v7 pro just came out?

"gimp" <gimpboy@smegville.com> wrote in message
> i'm looking to buy an editing app, probly either premiere pro 1.5 or
> vegas 5. i have likes and dislikes about each of them... but a major
> determining factor will be their ability to handle alpha.
>
> had a play with premiere 6 yrs ago i remember that it couldn't interpret
> imported footage/frames, eg: u couldn't choose straight or premultiplied
> alpha like you can with after effects or vegas.
>
> can premiere pro do this now...? the product specs on adobe.com don't
> seem to mention it...
>
> cheers
>
> ps. if there are any cheaper editing apps that can interpret alpha, do
> basic AV editing and compositing, and output to QT & AVI, i'd be keen to
> hear about them :)
>
> pps. the adobe site says prem pro supports XP but doesn't mention
> win2K....?? will it work ok on 2K...?

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I remember doing this all the way back to Premiere 4.2. I can't imagine
Premiere Pro can't do it.

Mike

"TheWanderer" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> How could v1.5 just come out when v7 pro just came out?

Do keep up (!), there is no Premiere v7, just _Premiere Pro_ (v1), Adobe
have just announced it's first update - hence the v1.5.

Remember, Premiere Pro was a complete software re write and thus a
completely new product IYSWIM.
--
Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.

Michael Banowetz wrote:
> I remember doing this all the way back to Premiere 4.2. I can't imagine
> Premiere Pro can't do it.

thanks for your reponse

do you know what specific menu option interprets the alpha in
premiere..? i know for certain premiere never asks when importing frames
like after effects does. i also never found a command or menu option
that mentions premultiplied or straight alpha.... however if its there
that would make premiere pro the winner in my books :)

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

i have just heard thru the grapevine that premiere 6 alpha control can
only be used on images that contain straight alpha. pretty lame for a
$600 app.... i still havn't heard about pro version though, but i assume
its the same.

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Right click on the clip and go into the transparency menu--there you will
find numerous options.

Mike

> i have just heard thru the grapevine that premiere 6 alpha control can
> only be used on images that contain straight alpha. pretty lame for a
> $600 app.... i still havn't heard about pro version though, but i assume
> its the same.

Archived from groups: rec.video.production,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I find this thread interesting because I've been struggling for months to
get 6.0 and 6.5 to do a white alpha key and it just won't do it. I can
achieve the same results with luminance and twiddling the other keyers, but
the white key just won't work. Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

Ken P.

"Michael Banowetz" <michaelbanowetz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Right click on the clip and go into the transparency menu--there you will
> find numerous options.
>
> Mike
>
> "gimp" <gimpboy@smegville.com> wrote in message
> > i have just heard thru the grapevine that premiere 6 alpha control can
> > only be used on images that contain straight alpha. pretty lame for a
> > $600 app.... i still havn't heard about pro version though, but i assume
> > its the same.

mark

"Ken P." <Ken.spamarama.paschke@uni.edu> wrote in message news:<c75f6d$sg1$1@news.cfu.net>...
> I find this thread interesting because I've been struggling for months to
> get 6.0 and 6.5 to do a white alpha key and it just won't do it. I can
> achieve the same results with luminance and twiddling the other keyers, but
> the white key just won't work. Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

You're not trying to import DV .avi files and use white alpha key on
them, are you? I had this problem myself, and AFAIR I tracked it down
to Premiere's idea of white being (unsurprisingly) 255, 255, 255,
whereas the white in my PAL DV .avi files seemed to be 254, 254, 254.

Otherwise white alpha works fine for me in 6.0 on imported
uncompressed bitmap files.

Mark

Ken P. wrote:

> I find this thread interesting because I've been struggling for months to
> get 6.0 and 6.5 to do a white alpha key and it just won't do it. I can
> achieve the same results with luminance and twiddling the other keyers, but
> the white key just won't work. Anyone else have this problem or a solution?

yeah i won't be buying premiere pro - downloaded the trial and OMG it
doesn't actually run on win2K.... they mentioned it on the site (doh)
but a lot of professionals still use 2000.

mark

gimp <gimpboy@smegville.com> wrote in message news:<c76e68$u1i$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> yeah i won't be buying premiere pro - downloaded the trial and OMG it
> doesn't actually run on win2K....

Good luck finding decent editing software that will run on Win2K:
AFAIR Avid requires XP Pro these days, for example.

Mark

Mark wrote:
> gimp <gimpboy@smegville.com> wrote in message
>> yeah i won't be buying premiere pro - downloaded the trial and OMG it
>> doesn't actually run on win2K....
>
> Good luck finding decent editing software that will run on Win2K:
> AFAIR Avid requires XP Pro these days, for example.

That's easy. Sony Vegas will do it on W2K and not worry about it.
I'm running it on two (very underpowered - P4 2.0 GHz with only 128 MB RAM)
W2K workstations at work for student use and we haven't had a complaint yet
:)

Minimum specs are:
Microsoft® Windows® 2000, or XP
500 MHz processor
60 MB hard-disk space for program installation
128 MB RAM
OHCI compatible i.LINK® connector*/IEEE-1394DV card (for DV capture and
print-to-tape)
Windows-compatible sound card
CD-ROM drive
Supported CD-Recordable drive (for CD burning only)
Microsoft DirectX® 8 or later
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (included on CD-ROM)
Internet Explorer 5.0 or later

Free trial at
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step1.asp?CatID=1
Choose either Vegas 5 or Vegas+DVD Production Suite.
Happy editing !!!

Mike
a VERY satisfied Vegas user