Prepairing your desktop problem, can't log on

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I made a fresh install of vista for a upgrade to windows 7, I trasfered all my files vista and it worked perfictly fine. but some how, soon after I noticed everytime I log on, it says preparing your desktop, as if an account was newly created or it couldn't accses ur user profile, it ends up making a temp directory, but after quite a couple minutes It just goes blue and I see my mouse, I am unable to do anything but I can press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and get to task manager and their for create a new task which is comand prompt and use that, I even tried using it to activate the hidden admin account and it dose the same blue screen, and the same happens for all accounts. what can I do to fix it, from
my understanding it's that the OS no longer remembers where the profiles folders are.

Solution
By any chance, when you say you tranferred your files over did you trasfer the user profile from vista straight into windows 7?

Also when installing windows 7 did you use the custom install or the upgrade option?

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
By any chance, when you say you tranferred your files over did you trasfer the user profile from vista straight into windows 7?

Also when installing windows 7 did you use the custom install or the upgrade option?

Solution

win7man

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
*** ed so i reinstalled vista so i could upgrade it to win7 for less, then after creating accounts on the new vista with he same names as the ones on the old vistas deleted the old vista partition, it was working perfectly, i was able to accees the files, and i think its CHKDSK with all 5 steps that i noticed it was not working, not sure it it was right away or not though