[SOLVED] "Preparing automatic repair" everytime i turn on PC

Nuub

Commendable
Aug 14, 2021
[Moderator Note: Moving thread from Storage to Windows 11.]

So i had this problem in my windows 11 PC where everytime i boot my PC on it had the "Preparing automatic repair" it goes straight to the advanced options
where you can pick to either troubleshoot or reset the PC. Before this actually happened, i got a notification from windows that they were gonna repair
the drive c: because of some errors it had, so i had no choice to restart repair the errors, but when it finished, the errors were still there, so i ran up startup repair
from the troubleshoot options before the OS boots, cause i had to try and it actually worked but my last problem is this "Preparing automatic repair" everytime
i turn on my PC.

I already tried these things:
-ALL DISM commands known in existence
-SFC /SCANNOW
-chkdsk (no errors found)
-windows update

My drives are:
Kingston SSD 240 GB
Seagate HDD 500 GB

i will try bios update later

(EDIT BIOS UPDATE DIDN'T WORK)

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Since you had a backup of anything important we won't worry about that part, right? Right? No? Bad day then. That should be the FIRST thing EVERY person does if they plan to EVER have anything that would cause them to have a crying fit if they lost it. Hopefully, you DO have anything important backed up to another internal, external or cloud storage. If not, you can pretty well assume by now in the process that is going to be lost. After a first attempt at automatic repair fails it's extremely uncommon that you are going to get anywhere with trying to recover your existing installation if you do not have a recovery image or backup software with a recovery image. Even then, it's only going to be as good as whenever the last time you...
Since you had a backup of anything important we won't worry about that part, right? Right? No? Bad day then. That should be the FIRST thing EVERY person does if they plan to EVER have anything that would cause them to have a crying fit if they lost it. Hopefully, you DO have anything important backed up to another internal, external or cloud storage. If not, you can pretty well assume by now in the process that is going to be lost. After a first attempt at automatic repair fails it's extremely uncommon that you are going to get anywhere with trying to recover your existing installation if you do not have a recovery image or backup software with a recovery image. Even then, it's only going to be as good as whenever the last time you backed up the image was. That's way daily or weekly backups of your OS image and any important files should be MORE important than ANYTHING else you do on your computer.

Anybody who can't be bothered to do that, isn't too worried about losing stuff.

In this case, doing a clean install of Windows is probably going to be your best and maybe only option. There are some other long winded, hair brained methods for attempting to repair the EFI and boot partition but if the problem is simply a borked Windows registry, none of that is going to help anyhow.

If you want this fixed quickly, and don't care about recovery, or can't worry about it because you don't have any recovery images, then simply do a clean install as outlined at the following link and start fresh. And making arrangements for an additional drive, whether internal or external, for keeping things backed up that are important plus keeping a recovery image on hand, should be the very next priority after that. People who do this, NEVER have to worry about the problem you are dealing with right now.

Solution
would this help, just turn it off?: run cmd.exe as admin then
bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No
bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy IgnoreAllFailures

Why did my systems reboot into the Recovery Environment and how do I prevent that from happening in the future? - The Old New Thing (microsoft.com)

this would be a workaround rather than a fix.
maybe try to find the recovery log to find out why it is not getting completed.
you might run bcdedit /v
and take a look at the current settings before the change

Last edited:

Nuub

Commendable
Aug 14, 2021
Since you had a backup of anything important we won't worry about that part, right? Right? No? Bad day then. That should be the FIRST thing EVERY person does if they plan to EVER have anything that would cause them to have a crying fit if they lost it. Hopefully, you DO have anything important backed up to another internal, external or cloud storage. If not, you can pretty well assume by now in the process that is going to be lost. After a first attempt at automatic repair fails it's extremely uncommon that you are going to get anywhere with trying to recover your existing installation if you do not have a recovery image or backup software with a recovery image. Even then, it's only going to be as good as whenever the last time you backed up the image was. That's way daily or weekly backups of your OS image and any important files should be MORE important than ANYTHING else you do on your computer.

Anybody who can't be bothered to do that, isn't too worried about losing stuff.

In this case, doing a clean install of Windows is probably going to be your best and maybe only option. There are some other long winded, hair brained methods for attempting to repair the EFI and boot partition but if the problem is simply a borked Windows registry, none of that is going to help anyhow.

If you want this fixed quickly, and don't care about recovery, or can't worry about it because you don't have any recovery images, then simply do a clean install as outlined at the following link and start fresh. And making arrangements for an additional drive, whether internal or external, for keeping things backed up that are important plus keeping a recovery image on hand, should be the very next priority after that. People who do this, NEVER have to worry about the problem you are dealing with right now.

Backed up my files and reinstalled windows, works like charm

Reactions: Darkbreeze